Black Walnut Burl Set *** SOLD ***

Rocky1

Matched set of Black Walnut Burl Calls, Open Reed sports a Yeller Dog YDD3 Tone board, mouth piece on the closed reed is turned from a piece of well aged Whitetail Antler. Each is sporting NUMEROUS coats of CA buffed to beyond shiny! Pictures don't even begin to do these calls justice. I finally gave up on trying to take pictures that would, after a dozen or more attempts with the phone and with the camera, with everything under the sun reflected off the calls. There are no yellow squiggly lines in the finish, that's the grass in the backyard.

Barrel on each is opened Deep and Wide, giving these calls excellent volume. While I will voice to suit on the closed reed, it's not gonna sound right with Cottontail in it, I can tell you that already. Reed I dropped in it to try it, came off a cross between Jack and Fawn Distress without touching it. It comes off deep, and loud.

These calls will make an excellent Stocking Stuffer for your hunting partner, or better yet for yourself, from your lovely and most considerate wife.
wink.gif

$90 will get the set delivered to your door! If your wife's sending them I'll even throw a ribbon or two around them so it looks like she does love you!

Dimensions as follows:

Open Reed -

Call Body - 2.70 inches
Overall Length - 4.33"
Bell OD - 1.28"
Bell ID - 1" at the tip of bell

Closed Reed -

Call Body - 2"
Overall Length - 2.72"
Bell OD - 1.34"
Bell ID - 1"
Air Chamber on the mouthpiece was step drilled to make it a little easier to blow - .30 inches at the mouth.

Last edited:
Thank you Gentlemen, your comments are greatly appreciated!!

And, yes this stock is absolutely beautiful. Eyes front and back, streaks and swirls across the sides.

Again the pictures simply don't even begin to do these calls justice, but no matter how hard I tried I could not get around reflection of something in the background off this finish. The dark color, and high gloss is just too much!! Anything reflecting light anywhere nearby and it showed up when I tried to take them inside. Moved outside on a cloudy day, and everything on the call was gray; got a sunny day and you see where that went!!

Then I used the aged antler to get a whiter finish for contrast on the mouthpiece, and to try and match the white in the reed on the open reed, and when I did those inside, if I got enough light to see the grain in the call, the antler glowed like a halogen high beam. Toned it down enough to lose the glow, and you couldn't see the grain. Tried the cell phone, tried the camera, tried my usual lamp on the counter, tried my light box, tried them standing up, tried them laying down, tried them tipped at an angle; didn't matter, they just would not work!

I'd dare say I took over 250 pictures of these calls, and these posted are as good as it got! I finally gave up!!

Adding dimensions in the original post!!

Wow, just looked at these on a full size screen and holy smokes theres some awesome stuff going on in that wood that i didn't see on my phone screen. Great job Rocky! I love that blue set I got from you. I bet these things scream it guys.

Yes sir... These 2 have got some volume! And, that walnut has a tone about it that's just sweet.

Glad to hear you like them Adam.

Back