Question for 204 shooters

tesoro

Hi
I am in the market for a dedicated med range varmint rifle. Will be an accurized bolt. I am leaning to the 204. I have an accurate 22lr for short range on ground squirrels and a 6.5cm for long range attempts. So I figured the 204 would be a nice middle of the road round.
I have only shot 204 in AR's. My question is with a medium weight bolt rifle can you see your hits most of the time? I would really like to see my hits. thx

I have to admit, I've not been much of a 204 fan but for some reason I've been bitten by the .20cal bug and I really like the little CZ 527's so I see a 527 Varmint model in 204 in my near future and with my TBAC 223P-2 screwed on the end, seeing hits should be easy peasy, even without the can, seeing hits is probably pretty easy.

FWIW:
Long before getting a .204R, I had a Tac20 barrel made for an Encore.
No problem getting a 32gr Vmax to 4100fps with bolt action accuracy.
The only thing I would change if it were possible to do over would be
to use Greg Tannel's idea of making the chamber long enough to allow
just necking the .223 case down for .204's, and NOT bumping the
shoulder back. They could be fire formed just as easily. Mine shoots
the fire forming cases just as accurately as the fire formed cases.

A couple years ago I got a Ruger Predator in .204. Probably just the
rifle, but best groups are 5/8 5-shot @ 100yds. I get pressure signs
if the 32 grainers are shot faster than 3900fps. I'll keep the rifle,
even though both cartridge and rifle have been a bit disappointing.

Then there is case availability for reloaders. If one wants Lapua or
Hornady, you're in luck. Just about anything else, forget it in .204!
There is an endless supply from just about every manufacturer for the
.223 parent cases used in making Tac20 rounds.

Being a reloader, I would even go with the Practical 20 over the
.204R again.

All three have little recoil with no problem seeing the bullet
connect.

ha thats the dilemma...which 20 cal round to go for!! I reload so not an issue. Might have to do some more homework as have been intrigued by some of the wildcats

If you want factory that is a great choice. If you reload, consider the 20 Practical. I can't speak experience but I have a barrel sitting on my bench awaiting a donor action this weekend. Similar performance, less powder, cheaper brass.

20 caliber want and the ability to reload? The answer beyond doubt in my opinion would be the 20 Practical. Cheap brass and able to run with the 204 with unreal accuracy tends to tip the scales.

Greg

I've been working with the Tac20 for several years now. There is virtually no performance difference in the Tac 20 or the practical. Both use cheap 223 brass and both are super easy to form. The best powder I've found that gives you a full case and max velocity is H322. 4198 is good as well but the case will not be full even if way over max. I'm getting 3800fps in a 16" barrel and 12 twist, and 4200 fps in a 22" 12 twist. This is with 32g blitz kings. Using a 4" circle as a kill zone you can hold on fur out to 310 yds with the 16" barrel and 400yds with the other. The 16" needs to be suppressed for any reasonable comfort.

WhoCares-could you give me/us a starting load with the H322? I been using 8208 with good results but always like alternatives.

FYI. 8208 I've tried on many different combos. In the Tac20 the case will be completely full and you still won't be hitting max pressure.

12t barrel, federal small rifle primer, once fired lake city brass, 32g Sierra Blitz kings in an Ar15 style rifle, COL 2.240

25.3g H322 is Quickload max. I've loaded up to 27.5 and everything in between. 27.0 -27.5 is a compressed load. I've settled at 27.0g for best accuracy and speed. I got less and less speed gains after this point. I did not pop any primers while working up but I did start getting increasingly heavier ejector marks on the brass starting at 26.8. I'm happy at 27.0 with slight ejector marks. I've fired this load in 110 degree temps and as low as 35f and the powder seems to be stable and the chronograph readings changed very little.

I'm comfortable with these numbers in my AR, and I tend to load everything Hot. YMMV

My rifle is a bolt action with a 22 inch X-caliber barrel/10 twist. I think I'll give the H322 a go. I usually shoot the 35 grain Berger but have some 32 grain V-max on the shelf. I may have some BlitzKings to, I will have to look. Thanks!!

If I were using a bolt action and were looking for extreme performance then I would use H4198. The bolt can hold more pressure in general and Todd Kindler uses a full compressed load of it that produces velocities of 4300+. These are loads that are in the 75000 psi range and waste the brass after two reloadings. Just another option if looking for extremes.

Well thanks for the input...I am going to look at the tac20 option.. the brass is the clincher...its nice to have a semi auto for shooting varmints but I didnt like the idea of flinging 30 cent 204 casings all day long into the bushes and rocks. and thus I was looking at a bolt. But when you can buy 'disposable' 223 brass by the bucket load then the AR option is something to think about..and then maybe a med weight 24in bolt gun to round things out. ha.

Last edited:
If going the AR route, people have reported feeding problems with the
Tac20. You may be better off with the Practical 20. There is very
little difference in performance.

Back