Long Range Coyote

DoubleUp

Killed this one last night lasered at 500 yds. today. Sorry for the jumpy video but I had to reposition to get on the other side of my hunting partner. Pulsar Apex XD50A mounted on a Ruger American Predator in 243 shooting a 58 v-max at 3,850 fps.

We had received a call that coyotes needed removing there. My buddy had scouted it out previously and thought the coyotes would come from the northwest so we set up accordingly. I was concerned about two things as we setup. First our window of opportunity was pretty narrow as we had the moon coming up at 8:30, and there was a strip of trees about 300 yds. long and 50 yds. wide to our south about 600 yds. It was a natural place that coyotes would desire as a layup spot during daylight. The wind was NNW very light.

We had just set up and before we even turned the call on two coyotes (sounded like half a dozen) went off about 200 yds. behind us to our south. They had just moved out of the strip of trees to start hunting. I could have made a pretty easy shot right then, and should have, but my hunting partner was shooting a Photon 4.6xt and didn't feel comfortable taking the other one that far. I was hoping we could double on them, so held off. They didn't make a busted bark but were very agitated and wouldn't commit to come any closer.

They worked around to the east and out of any scent cone, but kept their distance finally working several hundred more yds. to the NE from us. The whole episode played out over a 45 minute period. Finally on Kitten Distress they turned round and worked back to where you see the first shot take place in the video. The moon was breaking over the trees and we were soon going to be bright as day, so my buddy whispered for me to go ahead. My shot selection was not the best. It is hard to tell but in slow motion it shows the shot knocked the coyote down, but he jumped back to his feet and took off. Remember the picture I am seeing is much clearer and cleaner than what the video shows.

I had to reposition to the other side of my hunting partner so I wouldn't be shooting across him. Hence the video goes crazy for a few seconds. I thought the one going straight away would be the easier shot, and was able to make the kill at what turned out to be 500 yds. It is better to be lucky than good I guess.

Last edited:
That video is quite a testament to the ability of the Apex to see and score at a distance that a lot people couldn't shoot in the daytime. Great shooting doubleup. PIP is handy isn't it?

Yes Sir, that PIP is the ticket on a long shot while the wide view below it still allows reacquiring running targets quickly.

I've been real pleased with the Apex 50A. Not so pleased with my first shot selection on that hunt, but we had been watching this pair for 45 minutes. We were waiting to give my hunting partner a shot where we might could double and the almost full moon was coming over the trees at that moment. I hit the first one, but should have killed him DRT, just blew it on that shot.

It was a lot of fun, but it was nerve wracking watching them for 45 minutes especially when I had already passed up many closer shots.

You and your partner are awesome,another great video and your scope looks like one id should look at. Keep whackin em brotha i enjoy the videos.....

I really like that bullet in the 243. I've killed a lot of coyotes with it calling and it seldom does anything more than a small entry and no exit. I'm working on a 6x45 AR at the present and hoped to shoot that bullet, but the jury is still out on whether it will give me the kind of accuracy I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI really like that bullet in the 243. I've killed a lot of coyotes with it calling and it seldom does anything more than a small entry and no exit. I'm working on a 6x45 AR at the present and hoped to shoot that bullet, but the jury is still out on whether it will give me the kind of accuracy I'm looking for.

I shot it in my 6x45 18" AR. It thumped the ones I have killed. I have since switched to 60gr sierra. I wanted to get away from the BT so I could get a little more seating depth. The 65gr Berger is next on my list

ASC makes a mag that will allow you to seat out to 2.308". They advertise 2.316" but the tips hit at over 2.310 in mine. I have two in ten round and two in twenty round, black coated SS. Also less than 10 bucks each.

Back