More than a triple...

wolftrapper

Hunted new ground this morning, and woo hoo!!

Made two unproductive stands in a new area...coyote sign everywhere.

Temperature in the teens, enough snow/frost for a good background, and then the third stand. Hiked up a draw, and stopped just before I topped out. I had never been there before, but I have learned to call before topping out, so the coyotes don't see me.

I figured with the cold, food would be in demand, so I used my mouth call. My prey distress call is more of a 'tweener...between rabbit, and fawn. It works. I could see a couple hundred yards to my right, as it was a little below me, but to my left, I had a limited distance....maybe 75 yards. I set up so that I had a bush between me and the limited view, but a bush with a shooting gap in it.

I called for probably five minutes, when I saw a coyote through the gap, at about fifty yards. He was facing me. I slowly swung my rifle around to the convenient gap, centered on his chest, and dropped him. I continued calling for a few minutes, then went to the dead coyote. Now I was on top, and sure enough, there was another coyote out about 200 yards. Dang! I should have waited longer! HE didn't wait, and lit a shuck outta there!

I looked things over, and could see a fence line out about another three to four hundred yards, with a commanding view, and decided to go over and make a stand there. I had a good set up, with another low bush to sidle up to, and a great view. I was facing a shallow draw, that went forever, and I was at the top of it. I sent out another dinner invitation. Probably two minutes into it, three coyotes are hard charging, right up the draw! I swung the rifle to bear, and one of them saw the movement, and stopped. I put one through his shoulders, and he dropped. The other two turned tail, I got on one of the runners, and dumped him! About then things got confusing...after the smoke cleared, I put it together.

The runner was spinning, the third coyote came back, and I dropped it, then I went back to finish the spinner. In all, it took three shots to finish him, but I got her done!

At the time it was just reaction...if I saw a coyote on its feet, send it another round. Like a shooting gallery....it seemed like I fired a lot of rounds, but it turned out to be five total shots, and all hit fur.

I was using my bolt action M 70 Winchester, in .222, topped with a Leupold 3x9. I was set at three.

So, I had four coyotes, a shotgun, and a rifle to pack out about about 3/4 mile. I spent a lot of time walking back and forth, but finally got everything to the truck. Two of those 'yotes went thirty two pounds each.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

You found the mother load in that spot and a running shot is not easy.Sounds like you had a blast !!
Reading story's like that is what makes us keep on going out and call..

Congrats on your kills------My favorite M-70 win is the 222 and my 225 is a close 2nd coyote killer--Thanks for sharing your hunt --Great pic's too

Last edited:
Way to stay focused on the objective. What a great few minutes that sequence turned out to be.
Congrats on a great hunt

CONGRATS on a great hunt. Thanks for the fine read and pics. I always say "what's left on the ground eats better than what runs off". Well, eats in this case may not apply...

Wow! Way to go!when are you putting a clinic on? The only thing I didn't read is "My good buddy & I,,,lol I'm jealous to say the least! Great story & fancy shooting! Hope we can get together soon & go for a drive to my feedlot spot. Happy for ya😉

Back