Iowa groundhogs

IAyoteHNTR

I've been lucky enough to catch a few groundhogs out in the open in the last week here in Eastern Iowa. Got this one with the CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet the morning of the 4th ............

groundhog%201_zps62mz5f8f.jpg

And got this guy this evening while I was out playing around with a new to me Savage Mark II FV-SR .22 lr..........

groundhog%202_zpslyixpygu.jpg

Shot a 2nd one this evening with the Savage .22 also but couldn't find him. Heard the "thwack" when the bullet hit him but he jumped/reared up and fell backwards into the heavy grass and must have made it into the heavy brush close by where I couldn't find him. Found a little blood but that brush was way too heavy to even think about crawling into to see if i could find him.
frown.gif

Nice! We have shot so many around here that they are starting to get hard to see so we are done for the year so we have some seed for next year.

Nice shooting. The animals are out of control here, squirrels are the worst followed by deer, chipmunks, coons,ect,ect.

Saw this guy out in some grass on the edge of a cut bean field yesterday. The 20 practical did it's job. 150-160 yards. This makes #5 for the year.
thumbup1.gif

groundhog5_zpsk14yu8wd.jpg

Nice work Trevor! Saw a few out and about last week when I was down in Southern Iowa calling bobcats. Left them alone, but with the nice weather they were out late this year and ripe for the picking!

texken how do you clean and cook them? I shot a rockchuck and cleaned it, the fat smelled like skunk.I had one heck of a time getting the smell off my hands. I put it in a plastic bag and froze it and it made my freezer smell, so the wife pitched it,she said there was no way in he11 I was cooking it in her kitchen.

Back