Not the prettiest red

PredatorNC

Deer hunting is competitive here in NW North Carolina. Whether it was someone trying to send a message, or just a wayward dumper, someone threw a deer carcass out behind a small island of trees going down my 1/2 mile driveway. Initially I thought about dragging it to my customary bait area, but with open rolling terrain around it, followed by hard woods and thicket nearer my house, I thought perhaps I'd catch one off guard as I passed in or out. Sure enough as I roll down the driveway after work yesterday, on the cusp of dark, I see red ball at full tilt circling out of my path through a red dirt cut crop field. I had my newly acquired Barnes Precision riding shotgun with me. By the time I flipped the Vortex cap, powered on the red dot and swung on him he was about to reach freedom land in a thicket by the old barns hard to my left now, about 40 yards. His head reaching brush kicking red mud I squeezed off and out sight he went. My bullet met its mark just behind perfect placement, but about 7 more yards was all he could muster. Have never owned a red dot (Vortex w/ a magnifier) before but accredit the tool to the kill. Target acquisition was quicker. The poor girl was awfully mangy, though. Are any of you other guys in the southeast seeing mange??

red.jpg

Originally Posted By: reaper4Only one out of the 62 so far have had any mange at all. Little on the rump.

I just hope this isn't what I come to expect here this winter. Sounds like you guys are puttin in the time, and puttin down the fur.

Back