Ar 15 free float barrel nut

Biorn

Any one know what size crows foot you use for the barrel nut for free float hand guard?
1st build with with free float tube.

They're all different- you just about have to measure the one you are using. mine is 1 1/16. Crows foot are pretty cheap if you buy 3/8 drive so I got several sizes.

Last edited:
Thinking back on this, be careful if you order a crows foot. The width of the hex part between the round parts on each end is not that wide. Most of the half inch drive Chinese manufactured ones will be to wide to fit between the rounds. That's another reason I used the 3/8 drive. Williams is the brand I ordered and I got 3 sizes for about 25 shipped. I had a full set up to 1" for my car stuff but needed a few larger for the AR and good to have for the car stuff also. Most web sites will give the width of the crows foot. Before I ordered on line I measured the nut with calipers and just to be sure I took the nut to Harbor Freight and stuck a wrench on it to be sure of the size.

Originally Posted By: BiornIt's a UTG nut my dpms wrench dose not fit it .

the UTG super slim barrel nuts that come with their handguards include a proprietary barrel nut wrench.

they look like this

s-l225.jpg

I switched out a couple of my AR handguard to Hogue overmold style , their little plastic wrench bout cut my finger off when it slipped and I ruined a bbl nut trying to use a belt friction wrench ,

My son in law works as a machinist and he made me a spud that slides down inside the bbl nut and then just use good bbl wrench on it ,, took me 5 minutes to switch out 3 of them with new nuts when got them ..

Should get a patent on it

Back