22 Creedmoor - Updated with yote down

Yes sir, I will be. I am sending them 3x pieces of fire formed brass this week for a set of custom dies.

Originally Posted By: venaticDid you end up getting the Whidden 22 Creedmoor dies?

Dumb question, but how did you get some loaded up to fire and send to Whidden? I'm assuming you used 6.5 or 6 creed bushing dies. I'm in the process of having a 22 creed built and want to use whidden dies, but don't want to have to buy 6.5 dies and bushings to do it.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Yes sir, I will be. I am sending them 3x pieces of fire formed brass this week for a set of custom dies.

Originally Posted By: venaticDid you end up getting the Whidden 22 Creedmoor dies?

Correct, use 6.5cm dies and bushings to step 6.5cm brass down. End with the .252 bushing and make sure that it will chamber, once the gun is built. I ran 40.0gns of h4350, F210m and a berger 80.5gn kissing the lands. I ended up buying 6cm brass from gap to run full time until the 6.5cm small primer Lapua comes out. It will take Whidden 8-10wks for a custom set, but man they are awesome.

Originally Posted By: mschmidt128Dumb question, but how did you get some loaded up to fire and send to Whidden? I'm assuming you used 6.5 or 6 creed bushing dies. I'm in the process of having a 22 creed built and want to use whidden dies, but don't want to have to buy 6.5 dies and bushings to do it.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Yes sir, I will be. I am sending them 3x pieces of fire formed brass this week for a set of custom dies.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. I'm gonna do the same with 6 cm brass. That's two less passes through the die for stepping it down. Luckily I found a set to borrow from my buddy so I don't have to purchase a whole set of dies, just a couple bushings. Another question, did you run a .22 expander when you stepped it down?

That's a sweet rig, btw. Beanland sure does a [beeep] good job!! I bet it's a tack driver, too..

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Correct, use 6.5cm dies and a bushings to step 6n5cm brass down. End with the 252 bushing and make sure that it will chamber, once the gun is built. I ran 40.0gns of h4350, F210m and a berger 80.5gn kissing the lands. I ended up buying 6cm brass from gap to run full time until the 6.5cm small primer Lapua comes out. It will take Whidden 8-10wks for a custom set, but man they are awesome.

Originally Posted By: mschmidt128Dumb question, but how did you get some loaded up to fire and send to Whidden? I'm assuming you used 6.5 or 6 creed bushing dies. I'm in the process of having a 22 creed built and want to use whidden dies, but don't want to have to buy 6.5 dies and bushings to do it.

Beautiful Rifle Nor Tex... you just started a love affair that will not end soon...LOL. Nice groups as well. I see your wife is a lefty... my kind of Gal.

Nice Pic Venatic... it's hard NOT to love a hot and heavy 22 round.

My gun is still being screwed together, but I have started on my brass. I, too, used Hornady 6 Creed brass. With a Redding Type S FL Die and a .251 bushing based on what the smith building the gun recommended.

I did run into a minor snag where after necking brass down, I was left with a slight flare on the case neck. After some research, this appears to be a not uncommon issue when necking down. I had a Hornady Universal .224 neck side die that I used to the bump the mouth just enough to remove the flare.

Strange issue, but from all accounts, it only occurs in the initial neck down. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: liliysdadMy gun is still being screwed together, but I have started on my brass. I, too, used Hornady 6 Creed brass. With a Redding Type S FL Die and a .251 bushing based on what the smith building the gun recommended.

I did run into a minor snag where after necking brass down, I was left with a slight flare on the case neck. After some research, this appears to be a not uncommon issue when necking down. I had a Hornady Universal .224 neck side die that I used to the bump the mouth just enough to remove the flare.

Strange issue, but from all accounts, it only occurs in the initial neck down. We'll see.

Correct, its due to some spring back of the brass and I only see it on the initial forming.

Excellent...thats pretty much what I gathered after a minor freak out moment.

Another issue with the Hornady brass is that some of the primer pockets, I would estimate 40%, seemed awfully tight with CCI200 primers.

I wouldn't be counting on getting my hands on too much of that Lapua brass when it comes out in 17.. That stuff is gonna be one hot item and hard as [beeep] to get I'd imagine..

I don't doubt that for a second. That's why I bought plenty of 6cm brass from GAP. This is a field gun, not a match gun and my initial brass should last me a good while.

I have a good conection in the reloading supply industry, so I feel confident that I will be able to scare up 1 box to try, initially.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75I don't doubt that for a second. That's why I bought plenty of 6cm brass from GAP. This is a field gun, not a match gun and my initial brass should last me a good while.

I have a good conection in the reloading supply industry, so I feel confident that I will be able to scare up 1 box to try, initially.

I have a feeling you and I will be getting brass from the same place...and no, I dont worry about being able to get it.

Back