another 22 MAGNUM QUESTION

Gosh you guys are really leveling with me and have confirmed my suspicion (lots of internet fantasy marksmanship). I did settle a bunch gophers at 80-100 yds with the Marlin and 30 gr Hornadys. However not a consistently afterward.It is though a rifle of opportunity,light to carry with more punch than 22. Thanks

I built myself a 10/22 mag from an 80% receiver and a Kidd barrel. It'll shoot pretty well at 100 yards but I haven't put the time into it to see what ammo it likes. It's still a rimfire and ammo selection is the key.

It's interesting that my Win52 will do better at 100 yards than the 12/22 mag but that gun has the magic in it. None of my custom 10/22 tack drivers will group at 100 yards.

I have a H&k mod 300 and a Henry 22 mag, the h&k would drill a 50 cent piece every time with 3 shots of cci 40jhp or hornady 30 v-max, more than likely around a 1/2". My Henry would put a few in the coin and a few around it.

Marco pegged it ,it's hunter's rifle not a paper shooter.I don't think you will miss a fox or coyote under a 100 if you do your part.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: TnslimAny good internet hero could do that riding a buffalo bareback at full gallop hanging off the side shooting one handed under it's neck.

Try it with an ostrich.

Greg

I did and not just your common garden variety ostrich but a Tennessee Walking Ostrich. Everything was fine until I shot that high stepping critter in the foot. Heckuva wreck and durn near killed us both.

About fifty years ago (my eyes were keener then ) my Dad got a Mossberg 22 Mag with the small rimfire scope.As I remember it was a very good shooter,perhaps the ammo was better then and of course I was better then too !

I took my Cz 455 varmit .22 Mag out on a pdog shoot this last summer ,
Nothing was done to it at all.
It wares a Weaver 6-24 ao scope .
shots from 75 - 125 yards never failed to connect .
Ammo was CCI .
That being said I have no idea how it will print on paper but for its intended purpose the .22 mag. does great.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleAbout fifty years ago (my eyes were keener then ) my Dad got a Mossberg 22 Mag with the small rimfire scope.As I remember it was a very good shooter,perhaps the ammo was better then and of course I was better then too !

Was it the Mossberg chuckster?
I had a chuckster and it shot Great but I was young and dumb and sold it. I've had several 22 mags since then and none of them shot a accurately as that Mossberg. I have a Sako quad in 22 mag and I have yet to see how it shoots. MAybe next weekend I can find the time to sight it in and check several bands of ammo in it.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleAs I recall it had plastic in pistol grip with finger notches in grip. A great shooter.
Yep, sounds like the Chuckster:)

Originally Posted By: goosedownerOriginally Posted By: LodgepoleAs I recall it had plastic in pistol grip with finger notches in grip. A great shooter.
Yep, sounds like the Chuckster:)
I found one of these at a pawn shop a few years ago and really wanted it. At $400 and not willing to budge I walked. Yes you read that right, $400.

I had a Savage 93 bull barrel that shot great groups at 100 with cci 40 gr. I traded it off for a marlin with a fluer de lis(sp?) Stock tube fed that shoots decent but 13 rds vs 5 fits my purposes better for crows killing and management area coyote hunting

Lets say we have no wind or mirage should you be able to put 3 shots in a fifty cent piece at 100 yds ? Lodgepole [/quote]

I have a CZ 512 that can do that on a quarter using Remington 40 gr HP, but other ammo maybe your half dallor

As others on here say I do believe most larger groups are a result of inconsistent ammo. I carry mine on the trap line often (not for dispatch ) but for any fur that shows up. Mine is the xt22 mag Marlin with tube magazine holds 13 & I tape the tube in and carry it muzzle down .

Another happy CZ 512 owner here. Accurate beyond its price, even with the heavy but clean trigger. The only thing better than a reasonably priced, reasonably accurate .22 WMR is one that's a semi auto.

Back