Skinning question

For coyotes yes. It should end up with a nice even oval kinda of egg shaped hole. When your skinning finish it off at the nose then your very last cut should be slicing the bottom jaw off.

I usually skin half way down the lower jaw (almost to the k-9s) then slice across cutting it off.

I made the mistake of cutting around the genitals to the vent. That was wrong and it cost me almost half the price of my pelt.

Never again.

They are paying for fur, I only leave the fur from the elbow of the legs (half way) and a small patch the size of a baseball below the vent and the 2-3" on the bottom of the chin.

yep.. selling has to be done to standards, and there are small tricks for that too.. The guidance is good, but if your not used to it, will miss understand it.

Talking to the buyer you plan to sell to is key. Put up one and take it in and ask for a grade, then ask for comments on the put up. They will tell you what to do differently. Time and effort well spent. IMO

when my buyer said she did not need the head at all, that was awesome. that makes it really easy. also not pillow cased. skinning a coyote sliced up the belly with no head is super easy.

The lower jaw (lips) are cut off for drying as this area will naturally curl up, stay moist, spoil and stink to high heaven.
And it's worthless fur so this is the reason for removal.

Back