Remlin 45-70 kill

Remingtonman

Got to take the new remlin 45-70 out yesterday and break it in. Shot was around 80yds with deer taking one step back and falling over. Hit like the hammer of thor. Cartridge was handloaded with 49.7 gr of IMR 4198 using 300gr Hornady HP with starline brass.This gun shoots one hole groups at 100yds. Very Accurate lever action. Its a great gun and plan on bringing to the woods for many more years to come.

DSC00927.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! I missed a buck with my old Marlin .45-70 on opening day here. He was moving along at a pretty good trot through the timber about 70 yards away and my shot hit a dead tree about 10" in diameter between us. Not sure where the 405 gr. bullet went but it blew dead tree duff and bark out the back side what looked like right on the buck. I actually thought I hit him because at the shot he really hauled butt. I searched for signs of a hit for several hours and 1/4 mile along his direction of travel and found zero sign that I connected. I think when the bullet blew out the backside of the tree it sprayed him with bark and splinters and scared the bejezus out of him. I took my old Marlin .30-30 out and killed a big doe later in the week. I really enjoy my old lever guns.

Nice shot, they really do hit like a sledge hammer, since Ohio made them legal for deer that's what I've been using took my fourth deer with the 45/70 this year it didn't go far

Originally Posted By: tx44hunterWhat did the exit hole look like? Waste much meat? I'd love to use 45/70 more often.

That is the exit hole as shown. As long as you tuck the shot right behind the shoulder there is MINIMAL meat loss. However had I hit the shoulder bone both shoulders would have been wasted. I can send you picts of the internal damage from the shot. It was DEVESTATING from the 300gr HP I was using.

Back