Leupold give it up this morning.

Originally Posted By: JMADid you lap the rings?
I had read a long time ago from a former Leupold tech most of the scopes returned for repair had nothing wrong the problems were related to misaligned rings
if your response is to my post, I did indeed lap the rings into perfect alignment. I have a BR rail gun and can put any scope on the return to battery rest and see if it moves around from shot to shot. The scope that is back for the third time will not move the cross hairs the last 10 MOA of up or right movement. You can click them all you want and the cross hairs simply set there. Leupold has had this problem for years.

I'm not 100% sure my scope was the problem but I have to start somewhere. I do know it was dead on and one inch high just a day or so before season opened. It wasn't dropped or bumped or abused and opening morning, I missed a nice buck and a coyote. Both weren't difficult shots. On the way home I stopped at the range and the POI was way off from where it had been. So when the scope returns, we start over again.

My scope was returned today. Kuddo's to Leupold, that was pretty quick service. Invoice said-
Visual inspection 100%
Reworked selector
Reworked Erector system
Mechanical Inspection

I guess something was messed up. Now to put it back on the rifle and see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy scope was returned today. Kuddo's to Leupold, that was pretty quick service. Invoice said-
Visual inspection 100%
Reworked selector
Reworked Erector system
Mechanical Inspection

I guess something was messed up. Now to put it back on the rifle and see how it goes.

I hope that it all works out. I will be paying attention and seeing if they actually did fix it. I might be in the market for a new scope next year and want to hear how they do, as I have heard they have issues for the civilian market. Don't get me wrong, I love their lineup of scopes, but when I make a purchase for a scope, it is an investment. The last scope I purchased was $3,500.

I am thankful to learn from your experience before I invest in Leuplod to see where they are to date. Good luck and please let us know what happened.

I'm having the same problem with Leupold as we speak. I have a VX II 4x12x40mm A.O. that I sent in for tracking issues. Got it back in 3 weeks . Put it on a different gun this time . Same thing . It came back with a letter saying they had throughly check it out and put it through their test . Between the shipping and the ammo ....this is getting old

I had to send a Vari-X 2 4x12 A/O back one time due to the parallax adjustment numbers not corresponding to the range. Leupold fixed it promptly and now it is fine. That's the only Leupold I have ever had a need to return, and I own several.

Originally Posted By: JMADid you lap the rings?
I had read a long time ago from a former Leupold tech most of the scopes returned for repair had nothing wrong the problems were related to misaligned rings

This is more common than most think.

Took the rifle and scope to the range today. Low 40's and a light wind at my back. The scope seemed to work fine other than it has the dials you have to use a coin on. I hate those!! I have Leupold bases so I made most of my windage adjustments with them. The dials are 2 MOA and that kinda mess's with me trying to figure out how many marks to move it so it was trial and error for a while. I only took 12 rounds with me, mainly just to get on paper and get me out of the house. I'll load up more ammo and give it another try when its better conditions. So far, it seems to be working.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy scope was returned today. Kuddo's to Leupold, that was pretty quick service. Invoice said-
Visual inspection 100%
Reworked selector
Reworked Erector system
Mechanical Inspection

I guess something was messed up. Now to put it back on the rifle and see how it goes. I sure hope your scope is fixed, but mine has come back twice before with the same description of work performed and it still had the same problem. If you have a way to mount the scope solidly to a sturdy bench check to see if the crosshairs move throughout the entire range of the turrets. Mine wouldn't.

I sent a VXIII in about 3 months ago. Used the website and picked the loses zero option. They emailed me when it arrived and said it would take a month to return. Three weeks later I got it back. The only thing they salvaged was the tube. Everything else is new--including the glass. I assume that makes my old VXIII the same as the VX3 models made today. Very happy with Leupold's service. It's second to none!!!!

I made another trip to the range today. I only had 7 rounds left of the 120 Noslers left but I wanted to see if it held zero from the last trip out. Well, it seemed to be right on the money. What I am noticing is it doesn't seem to be as clear as before. My 100yd bull seemed just a little out of focus. Hope this isn't another problem.

Back