Central Minnesota Calling

Up169north

I'm new here, and posted this general topic in a different section. I read that you aren't supposed to do that. I hope this can be my mulligan.

Central Minnesota Calling

Anybody else out there from the Gopher State? I am new to coyotes and hunting by myself alot of the time. I'm asking for some dos and donts south of Mille Lacs lake. I've read a lot (too much, probably) and watched a lot of strategy on YouTube. Got the foxpro, the guns and permission from five farmers to hunt their land after muzzleloader is done. Started on one property already, but really don't want to educate all the dogs with any amateur mistakes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The only thing wrong with this sport is that I can't figure out a good time to have a cigar.

Thanks, guys!

Hey man, I'm also new to coyote hunting (just started last year) I live just west of the cities. Where about do you live? Milaca area? Only had a few chunks of land to hunt. I need to get out and do some more door knocking one of these days....

NPro,
I live in Mpls and hunt south of Mille lacs. I also started last year, but only went a few times. Haven't called one in yet. Have only seen one set of tracks at each location. That isn't good. So this year will try to drive around after a snow and scout. Last year the wolves were in hinckley and no coyote tracks. Even the local guy that runs dogs said it was really slow. Makes me wonder if I'm in the right spots. I have been running foxpro for 2 minutes and waiting for 5. Last night read an article about guys just letting the thing run 20-30 minutes. This could change things?
You must be far enough south not to worry about wolves?

I've hunted the Onamia area for 25years. It can be hit or miss. Some years there are coyotes and fox, some years wolves. There was a bad rash of mange that came through a few years ago that did a lot of damage. To numbers as well.

The area is only an hour out of the metro, so it gets a lot of pressure as well. So use some alternate sounds or hand call if you aren't getting any response. Trying to find some out of the way areas will help as well. Don't over look small places, and if you don't have sign, don't waste your time.

Thanks, Neighbor. Like Muskie fishing, learning by yourself can take a long time without help. This particular farmer I located says they are out there every night. I'm saving what he says the best spot is for last. I don't want to educate them with my mistakes. Hopefully we get enough snow that I can try looking for tracks on Thursday morning and set up same day. When I get one, it won't be a secret! I hope to be asking for help to post a picture here. Btw, your tip about alternate sounds may be right on the money. I used crow fight, the crows were over me immediately, and when I shut it off I heard a soft gutteral sound through the bush to my left inside of 50yds. It didn't show and I am not knowledgeable to guess what it was.

I live in Hanover (just south of St. Michael). No wolves around here to worry about... I have permission to hunt some land in Corcoran and just gained some more between Hanover and Buffalo.

I went out on Saturday to the place in Corcoran and there were tracks all over the place. Had the Foxpro going for around 30 minutes total, 5 minutes on 2 minutes off. Switched between some different rabbit distress and some pup distress and kiyi. I was sitting downwind at the edge of a field, had something come in within 20 yards of me to my left but couldn't see what it was due to trees and bushes in the way. I'm sure it was a coyote though as I heard its footsteps as it approached. That's the best luck I've had in that spot so far and I have hunted it 5 or 6 times since last Christmas.

One of these times I know I'm going to finally have one show itself. I may try some night hunting out there with the 12 gauge after the 1st when it is legal.

Neighbor and 169 - Any chance any of you guys would want to meet up some day and do some calling? I'm sure I could learn a thing or two. It is so hard to find people in MN that coyote hunt, and is even harder to find land since nearly our entire state is private land.

Last edited:
There are plenty of coyotes around, they are just tough to hunt.

I've only seen 7 coyotes in daylight my whole life, and 4 of those were as I was driving my car down the road. I think Minnesota has enough people around, hunters, joggers, outdoorsy people that most the wildlife is more nocturnal than a lot of other places. I see coyote tracks everywhere, literally everywhere but good luck finding the coyotes. Hunting during the day is tough, there is just too much thick stuff for them to get around in unseen, they are more cautious during the day and they will get down wind of you and be gone before you knew they were there and I have never had a coyote come in during the daylight if it couldn't get downwind. I have never called in a coyote during the day that didn't head down wind and bust me, all I see are fresh tracks on my way out.

Hunting full moon in the snow is the way to go, I just called in two tonight and I was only out a couple hours. You are going to need to travel though, I watch these Randy Anderson videos and they regularly have coyotes coming from a mile away, that doesn't happen here. When I hunt at night I will usually have a coyote in my sights within 5 minutes, some times they will take their time but usually they are right on top of you from the start.

If you hear groups of coyotes howling in the night go find them, they almost always move up wind from where you heard them last. That's when things get really fun.

Back