Advice

srmmaine

I have read many, many posts on here and the knowledge on here is amazing and impressive and I'm learning a lot. But I couldn't be more confused between IR and night vision etc. I thought I would just sort of cut to the chase for myself. If I had 2K to 3K to spend and no more...what would you recommend I buy to night hunt coyotes? The maximum shot I have here would be 150 yards. Not too worried about target ID for where I am...wouldn't be any dogs etc. And if this isn't a realistic question then maybe advice on how to determine what I want for that kind of money. Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking you meant thermal and night vision. (IR infrared light is used as an aid to night vision)there are guys out there that can expalin this better and hopefully will. Thermal allows you to see and shoot based on heat signatures of your target. NV enhances what little existing light there is at night and allows see in the dark. A good IR illuminator will help low end Gen 1 and 2 NV.

Scanning with thermal and shooting with NV or thermal seems to be the natural progression from lights.

I just bought a Photon XT digital night vision scope a month ago, when paired with a good IR illuminator it seems a good fit for my hunting conditions based on the limited time I've used it.

Santa comes early this year for me as my HD19A is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Catching them on sale I've got about $2450 tied up in both units, including my IR illuminator which I dropped an IR LED into one of my existing lights.

Kevin responded while I was typing and knows a lot more than me, I almost pulled the trigger on the Nemesis but opted for the Photon.

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Srmmaine,

You can check out our package deal on the Armasight Nemesis QS which is well within your price range. Click on the link below:

http://www.hightechredneckincorporated.com/product-p/nvpd2050.htm

Field Review - 4x -

Field Review - 6X -

Let me know if you have any questions,

Kevin

Kevin are you going to do a video on the Photon, I know it was mentioned in a previous post?

Last edited:
If I was going to stay in the 3000 dollar range I would buy pulsar hd19A for scanning & the armasight gen1 core vampire 3x night vision scope (hightechredneck) has a video on the gen1 core vampire night vision scope with his adjustable ir light, I believe you can easily kill a coyote at 200 yards.

Last edited:
Pmack,

We will probably do the field tests on the Photons in the off season next year (summer). It is really hard to get them done this time of the year with the business and taking time to get some new NV hunting video footage for HTRN Night Vision Predators IV DVD! Kevin

Srmmaine,

Not sure exactly what you know or understand about night vision and infrared light, so I will "shed some light" on the subject just in case.

Infrared light (IR) is used to supplement night vision devices like rifle scopes and monoculars. Sometimes ambient light from the sky, stars and moon will allow certain NV scopes (mainly Gen 3 and some Gen 2) to see without illumination, but on dark nights even Gen 3 can benefit from IR light.

IR light does not cast any illumination on the ground that you can see. It's not like a flashlight that throws a visible beam. Rather, with IR light only the scope can see it. IR light (850nm) gives off a faint red glow that can be seen by humans and animals. My understanding is that the red glow is produced by the emitter and not the IR light itself.

So, when you turn on an IR light and cast it down range, you will think the light is broken since you can't see any visible illumination on the ground or subject. But when you look through a NV device you will see very well.

If you already had an understanding of this, then please forgive my rambling.

Well as pmack determined immediately...I don't know what I'm talking about! So 6mm I really appreciate that...that shortly and simply answered questions I've been trying to figure out for a long while and thanks for the other posts as well. All very helpful to me

In my oppinoin and that's all it is the best money for night hunting you spend would be for a thermal scanner. After scanning with the nv rifle scope a few times it is extremely tiring and not near as comfortable as with a thermal monocular such as a pulsar hd19 a. The nightvision scopes are great but with a limited budget I would use a thermal scanner and a light to shoot which you may already have. From my experience relying on nightvision to detect the animal they have to be closer that gives you even less time to get ready to shoot let alone the fact that if their eyes are covered or not looking at you they are harder to pick up as the eyes don't glow. With thermal the only thing that blocks the heat signature is vegetation or the ground. For me the biggest difference was with the thermal scanner and it works in the daytime as well. Just my 2 cents

+! on the 19a and nemesis on killing a coyote at 200. Have both and 200 is no problem. 300 is very doable with this and the ir torch.

Back