Slow.... Anybody else?

TN_predators

So, my cousin and I have been out 8 times with multiple stands in the last two weeks with ZERO action. Needless to say the frustration has set in after this morning.

We thought it would be perfect. Nice and cold, fresh tracks and scat, wind in our favor.. Still nothing! We made 3 stands on a 300 acre property that was bound to produce and it didn't. We're starting to think they're not responding to a call very well yet.

Anyone else having a slow go?

Yah, slow here too, my theory is they den up before I go out then waltz around 2 AM, when i'm sleep'n.
Trailcams support this theory.

Bob you do have it right my thoughts as well. It has been slow here as well but I have called in and shot three 18,48 and 84 yards. Also Shot one at 123 while mousing so I really can't complain other than
its taken 20+ times out so far. Started Aug.25, will go until April.

Getting ready to head back out after this post might get lucky? Good luck and keep at it.

Originally Posted By: gord mccooBob you do have it right my thoughts as well. It has been slow here as well but I have called in and shot three 18,48 and 84 yards. Also Shot one at 123 while mousing so I really can't complain other than
its taken 20+ times out so far. Started Aug.25, will go until April.

Getting ready to head back out after this post might get lucky? Good luck and keep at it.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Not sure how you people do it. If I haven't called one in in about five sets I start to get depressed.
If I don't call any in all day then I start wondering if there is something wrong with my equipment.

^^^^^Right! I just got back from up north....6 stands, 8 dogs came in, 6 down! We're lucky! Bunch of tourneys going on too.......Regards, Drop

TrapShooter12 that seems to be the norm here,at least in the 10+ years I've been hunting coyotes. Lots and lots of sets.

Last night nothing but that's hunting. I definitely will not give up 'cause I love coyote hunting.

Originally Posted By: gord mccooTrapShooter12 that seems to be the norm here,at least in the 10+ years I've been hunting coyotes. Lots and lots of sets.

Last night nothing but that's hunting. I definitely will not give up 'cause I love coyote hunting.

I'm with you! This is my first year predator hunting (started in April) and it's been decent but nothing to write home about. I'm really looking forward to hunting during prime time this year.

i found an area that this fall i was knocking the snot out of them. i was getting 4 a day everyday i was there. first light to around noon, after that it was totally dead.
i went there yesterday, killed one at first light. never saw another coyote for 4 hours. it was single digits for temps, light cover of snow on the ground, no moon. when i was getting 4 a day, it was highs in the 50's and 60's full moon, and otherwise poor conditions. go figure.

Also think that yotes around here have seen/smelled several deer hunters, in the daylight,
and the surviving yotes have learned to avoid daylight because of these >>hurtful

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlAlso think that yotes around here have seen/smelled several deer hunters, in the daylight,
and the surviving yotes have learned to avoid daylight because of these >>hurtful

i find the coyote hunting slow during the big game seasons. too many carcasses and lost animals, they are not hungry.

Originally Posted By: 6724i find the coyote hunting slow during the big game seasons. too many carcasses and lost animals, they are not hungry. Our rifle deer closed a couple weeks ago. But!!! Coyotes don't have to be hungry, just to come to a call. Regards, Drop

Just depends on how they feel about coming in I guess to say.
Yeatserday a pal & his friend shot 7, then today all 3 of us only shot 3 total and nothing was moving until after 3pm.
The day was no different than Saturday, just seemed like they took a break on coming to the call.
Saturday night I had 1 fly in under 2 min, drooped it then nothing for the rest of the night, not even a howl to say I'm here and aint coming in.
In the 20s at night and 30-40s daytime, but no snow.

Originally Posted By: IvetJust depends on how they feel about coming in I guess to say.
Yeatserday a pal & his friend shot 7, then today all 3 of us only shot 3 total and nothing was moving until after 3pm.
The day was no different than Saturday, just seemed like they took a break on coming to the call.
Saturday night I had 1 fly in under 2 min, drooped it then nothing for the rest of the night, not even a howl to say I'm here and aint coming in.
In the 20s at night and 30-40s daytime, but no snow.

Sounds like y'all are doing just fine!

Area?

I went out after lunch today. Mid 40's and overcast with just a mild breeze. The first set produced nothing and after 30 minutes, I went to an adjoining field. About 5 minutes of calling I saw a coyote cross the field in a narrow clearing and back into the thick stuff. I called about 20-25 more minutes but he never came back out. Moved to a third spot and called in a dried up creek but nothing came to the caller. Hope this was just bad timing on my part and not a sign of how the season is going to be. My 20P is still a virgin and was hoping to change that today. We have some serious cold weather coming towards the end of the week, maybe it will be better.

Im in the same boat as you. I was stacking them up (as good as can be in east Tennessee) I got 4 in 3 trips. Now that deer season is going I hunted hard Saturday 8+ sets and never even seen one. I got one more buck tag left so im probably just look to cash it in and let the pressure drop a little.

Originally Posted By: Fullcontact86Im in the same boat as you. I was stacking them up (as good as can be in east Tennessee) I got 4 in 3 trips. Now that deer season is going I hunted hard Saturday 8+ sets and never even seen one. I got one more buck tag left so im probably just look to cash it in and let the pressure drop a little.

I hear ya there. I hope this cold snap that's coming near the end of the week changes things up for the better. Lows in the mid teens should get them moving.

Back