Jeep hunting rig

I have a '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee that is my exclusive hunting rig. It has the 5.2 V-8 in case I need to tow my quad, and I put a Ox electronic locking diff up front. There is about a 3" lift and slightly oversized tires and wheels on it. I took out the back seats and built a shelf in the back for storage, and it is just long enough for me to sleep in if the weather is bad (I'm 5'10"). Finally, because the paint was wearing thin, I did a vinyl camo wrap job on it. I'll try to post a few pics, but just like you said about a big truck, this thing is super-capable off-road, in fact it will scare you, is quiet and turns on a dime. It's like having a small, enclosed-bed pick-up truck. Two thumbs up! Only problem is, my son is begging me to let him drive it to high school next year!
I have the big truck, too, but I don't like to beat that up, and the Jeep gets mad at me if I don't take her into the ruff stuff during the season!

Not a Jeep, but I had a Nissan Hardbody pickup a few years ago that I dearly loved. It did not have a lot of room inside, but I placed a camper cover over it and it did fine. That little truck would turn on a dime practically and got me into and out of some very tight places. The 4x4 worked great and it was just hard to get it stuck with reasonable care. Too bad that most of them now are getting old and it's difficult to find one in good shape.

I'm in NE Wa and hunt NW Montana a good bit. I use a 1985 Toyota four runner and I picked it on purpose solid axles fuel injection decent interior room and the biggest reason is they are tuff as nails. I have a Cummins diesel and when I hunt Montana I pull it over there on a tow bar. I have hauled out about everything in it elk deer bear and lots of other critters. Just my suggestion.

Mine is an '02 TJ w/the 2.5 liter engine, 4" lift kit. Ideal 2 passenger hunting rig. As has been stated, the 4 cyl. a bit shy on torque so better drop in low range before attempting a long hard pull in soft sand. Mine set up for off road only w/slime in tires for running S. Tx. brush. Rag top not a problem down south and security not an issue either as it is hunted on large ranches behind locked gates.

Gets around in the brush & mud a lot better than the Silverado 4X4 that pulls it.

As far as carrying dead critters, there's more than one way to skin a cat. 2000# ATV winch mounted on back bumper combined w/telescoping boom great for retrieving and carrying larger game and rack over front 9.5 ti winch on front handles hogs, etc. (I know, the 9500# winch a bit large for the jeep but bought it for the truck but w/receivers on both, can switch to either vehicle as well as front to back on either as needed. Never used it on the jeep but was worth it's weight in gold on the truck once.)

I kinda think it looks a lot better when decorated w/dead critters and wearing a light coat of mud.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996I kinda think it looks a lot better when decorated w/dead critters and wearing a light coat of mud.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Dang right it does...

- DAA

Back