Hunting Solo: Who brings a Rifle AND Shotgun?

Old No7

Wondering how many coyote hunters carry both a rifle AND have a small handy shotgun nearby (in their laps?) when hunting solo?

Reason I ask is I had a coyote respond to my call when pre-scouting for deer 6 weeks ago... He jumped in a small duck pond and swam over to a small finger of land maybe 25 yards from where I was set up. I had a single-shot 17HMR with me for small game, with a 2-7X scope, and had not planned to have a chance at a yote that day. But that one was really aggressive responding to my mouth call, which I blew on at 9:00 in the morning, after several coyotes 300-400 yards out in front of me sounded off... (If they hadn't sounded off, I never would have called at all...)

Anyway, with the scope set on 2X, I hit the coyote and it jumped into some thicker brush but I couldn't see the chest area clearly. With a shotgun, I easily could have put a load of #2 buck to the head area and put it down for good. As it was, the injured yote jumped back into the pond and started to swim back to where it came from; then just before I could finish him with another rifle shot, it went under. I thought that was weird, but a few hunters I've spoken with suggested my 1st shot pierced both lungs and they're thinking the yote filled with water and drowned. Well, they say a dead coyote is a good one, but I tried for half an hour and couldn't find or recover it...

So...

Who carries both a rifle and shotgun when on stand???

I'm thinking it would have helped me in this situation. And yes, a faster repeater or AR would have helped too!

Old No7

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Old No7the injured yote jumped back into the pond and started to swim back to where it came from; then just before I could finish him with another rifle shot, it went under. I thought that was weird, but a few hunters I've spoken with suggested my 1st shot pierced both lungs and they're thinking the yote filled with water and drowned.

just when you think you heard it all.
lol.gif

not saying it did not happen. just one of the strangest coyote related things i have ever read. and i have read some doozies.

that was one unlucky coyote. lol

wow.. wild..

Anyways.. i always sling the rifle, and carry the shotgun..

While walking in I have the shotgun ready.

Then on stand, shotgun is at the ready. The rifle is off to the side..

If i need a shotgun, not a lot of time or ability to move.. If it's a hanger. Meaning not coming in, i have time to switch, meaning grab the rifle next to me and pull it over and line up.

I will always have both. A nice to carry nice to shoot 20ga with #3 buck shot for those 45yds and in or when the situation does not allow for a rifle. And a .223 for when it does.

I'd like to carry both but often get lazy and just go with the rifle. Funny thing is the only times I could've ever used the shotty are the times when it was in the gun rack in the truck.

Funny you asked....I haven't carried a shotgun in the past, but the last three weeks I have had several coyotes give me the bum's rush, and run right on past me! I have missed way more shots that way, than having them hang too far out. I'm talkin' thirty feet away! This s##t has to end!

One set, I had a coyote charge over a hill at me, and wouldn't stop, even when I yelled at him. Sailed on past, then got my wind and booked. I followed him over the nearest rise, to see if he would stop, and a second coyote was leading him. I returned to where I had been calling from, and walked in to a third coming from the opposite direction. He swapped ends at about 25 yards. Then two days ago a pair came up behind me in easy shotgun range, but were not inclined to stop. Just made a U turn, and vacated the premises before I could bring my rifle to bear.

Anyway, thanks Tbone. I have been wondering which weapon to have in my hands, what you are saying makes sense. I'm looking for redemption!! Supposed to get a little snow tonight, so I will be out tomorrow.

When I was younger and stronger I toted both, but now I sometimes carry a combo gun: a Baikal/Remington .223/12 gauge with a 2-7x scope. The .223 barrel is a tack driver, and 3-inch Dead Coyote rounds in the big pipe really work well for the close encounters.

Here in Missouri, there is a decent chance at a bobcat when calling so my hunting partner and I always have at least one shotgun on stand in addition to our rifles. They can sneak on you and have to make a quick, close shot. Have had to use shotgun on some hard charging coyotes as well. Yes it can be a pain to carry both if you have to walk a long way but if hunting solo I always carry both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jf1073I'd like to carry both but often get lazy and just go with the rifle. Funny thing is the only times I could've ever used the shotty are the times when it was in the gun rack in the truck.

Describes ME to a T....

i tried it after reading an article in i think predator nation.... not too bad if short walks to a stand, but that metal/lead/wood adds up after a while.

i do carry a 9 mm pistol if im calling in the mountains, calling in a black bear with just a 223 on me isnt very appealing to contemplate.

I'll usually throw both in the truck when I leave, though in my parts they have a rule that you can only carry one gun at a time. Well you can carry two, but one has to be locked and in a case, effectively making it useless extra weight to carry.
The shotgun is mostly taken in case I see some ducks or a partridge.

I ALWAYS carry a shotgun across my shoulder on my back, a bag with my call, a stadium seat, and an AR on every set. I also have a furtakers vest with a little ammo, drag, and some other stuff. I've hunted all day several times and haven't been worn down, too bad anyway.

Yeah I am lazy bones also. Just the rifle or just the shotgun depending on the stand. Sometimes it screws me over but for the few times it's not worth the extra 8lbs to haul around.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: jf1073I'd like to carry both but often get lazy and just go with the rifle. Funny thing is the only times I could've ever used the shotty are the times when it was in the gun rack in the truck.

Describes ME to a T....

x's 3... I always have both in the truck and it depends on the stand. If it's thick, I take both, if it wide open, usually just the rifle. But somehow they always seem to pop up out of nowhere @ 25 yards in wide open country or I can't stop them. I thought about mounting a red dot on the side of the AR just for the hot ones.

Originally Posted By: littledawg
... I thought about mounting a red dot on the side of the AR just for the hot ones.

I did that for a while. Ended up going back to the rifle and shotgun. The reflex sight even with practice just didn't do the job the way a shotgun does.

I have been taking whatever gun I needed for where I was hunting but I am setting up and ar to take the place of both guns now. I have a vortex diamondback 4-14x40 and putting a vortex venom on a canted mount. Now if I set up in the woods I use the red dot and for fields I use the scope.

Back