Maybe an "oddball" question, for shotgun guys.......

Well my experience is always opposite of the majority on here. But I've had 2 870's break of course the were the express models. Never had a problem with a mossberg and I like the top safety. But I'm a browning BPS convert now. Have 3 and love them. I would look for a used bps

Thanks for the responses guys!
cool.gif

It's obvious that the 870s are a fan favorite.
wink.gif

GC & Bernie asked a very good question (IMO)...."Why would I want to have a Cylinder Bore fixed choke gun?"
confused.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

Here's my answer....
smile.gif

...Several years ago, I bought a bunch of the Federal Truball slugs.
Cabela's had them on sale at the time.

And, I want to make certain that I shoot them from a constriction that WILL NOT cause too much pressure to build, and damage the gun.
If that means I shoot a slightly larger grouping...with a Cylinder Bore...than I would with say a Modified choke...I'll give up a little accuracy, in order to remain safe.

The reason I bought them (aside from the sale), was that I wanted to experiment.
crazy.gif

We all know that folks use buckshot (or other type of pellet shot) in their predator calling shotguns.

Well, I thought I would experiment with using slugs on coyotes, instead of the buckshot & BB loads that I was running low on.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

(After all, in some states, we all know that slugs can be a requirement for deer hunting. If for deer, then why not try them on close-range coyotes?)
wink.gif

I know, I know.
Folks are going to call me an imbecile.
crazy.gif
grin.gif

But, I have always been a little "out-of-the- box" thinking, in my predator calling.
cool.gif

Sometimes my experiments pay off, sometimes they don't.
wink.gif

Well, at the time, I owned an 870 Express.
cool.gif

And while I gave thought to buying a rifled slug barrel for it, (so I could shoot the Hornady 300 gr SST slugs), I didn't feel like spending the dollars to buy the extra barrel.
frown.gif

So, instead, I bought an Improved Cylinder choke, and the rifled Truballs.
(LOTS cheaper!)
grin.gif

Unfortunately, before I could experiment, my health took a turn.
mad.gif

And I wound up having to sell my AR, 870 Express, and my .22 revolver in order to pay on a hospital bill.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

{Kept my Stevens 200 .223, and the Marlin 336Y 30-30. So, not totally out of the firearms.}
wink.gif

So, I'm sitting on these Truball slugs, and still hoping to experiment with them...hopefully (if health improves enough)...hopefully I can experiment next Fall.

Yes, I might go back to a version of the 870.

{Although, what I would REALLY like, is to get my hands on an older Ithaca #37 DeerSlayer "riot gun".
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

My Dad owns one...20" plain barrel Cylinder Bore; 8+1 mag; Parkerized finish, with wood stocks.
I killed somewhere around 1000 coyotes with it, between 1981-1995, when I was still hunting with Dad (chasing in trucks...legally....it was prior to me getting my 1st call...and it was how I was raised. I know a lot of people don't think it's humane, or moral. But, please, I don't wish to debate it. Thank you.)
And, it just sits in his gun cabinet.
He hasn't fired it in nearly 5 years.
But...he refuses to sell it.
And, WHEN I do find 37s up for sale, they want an arm & leg for them.}
crazy.gif
frown.gif

So....I thought I would get some other ideas, for budget/value/beater guns...to check out, and choose from.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

I picked up a Mossberg 500 for a dedicated calling gun..It has a 22 inch barrel with screw in choke..It is lightweight,points good and extremely handy.. I have heard the Mossberg stories,but I find I like this shotgun very much...It is light and short enough that I can throw it on my pack and still take my rifle..

I also didn't feel bad when I rattle canned the whole thing camo..
w00t.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MoosetrotWith your $300 limit, I hereby and officially change my vote to the venerable 870.

Moosetrot

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Yeah, I have to set a dollar limit.
I have a VERY tight budget, since I live on Social Security Disability.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

A couple of yearsbago I bought a mossberg 500 and a case of 00 buck for less than 500 and the buckshot cost more than the gun. Should have bought 1s or 4s. Oh well.

Well, I had an old Wingmaster, 30" full choke. No vent rib and a 2 3/4 chamber.

Had a gunsmith chop to 18 1/2" and put the bead back on. Stock was cracked at the wrist so I found an old stock set from a police shotgun. Sweet shooting rabbit/ buckshot thrower... And the police stocks are pretty heavy, which helps with recoil.

Need to shoot a few slugs through it and see how it groups.

Will,
A fixed choke locks you into only ONE constriction. And that one constriction will not work well for all those things you listed on your wish list. You do realize that a barrel that accepts choke tubes can use a tube with anything from cylinder bore constriction to super full turkey tight constriction? With that kind of versatility you can fine tune all and any loads for the best results.

I'm sure SSD does not pay that well so I understand the budget issue, but I believe if you go with a barrel that doesn't have choke tubes you will be, in time, very disappointed with the purchase. If it were possible, I would wait and put a little extra aside for a few more months and "buy up". I'd rather wait and buy once than possibly make a purchase and be dissatisfied.

Here Kitty Kitty

As far as shooting those slugs go.Carlson (maybe others) make rifled choke tubes for the 870.Probably not as accurate as a fully rifled barrel but should do better than Cyl or IC.

Originally Posted By: GCWill,
A fixed choke locks you into only ONE constriction. And that one constriction will not work well for all those things you listed on your wish list. You do realize that a barrel that accepts choke tubes can use a tube with anything from cylinder bore constriction to super full turkey tight constriction? With that kind of versatility you can fine tune all and any loads for the best results.

Yeppers. I knew that.
cool.gif

At the moment, it's just a "thought-in-process". In other words, I know what I should do....but I'm weighing all options.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark204I'm sure SSD does not pay that well so I understand the budget issue, but I believe if you go with a barrel that doesn't have choke tubes you will be, in time, very disappointed with the purchase. If it were possible, I would wait and put a little extra aside for a few more months and "buy up". I'd rather wait and buy once than possibly make a purchase and be dissatisfied.

Here Kitty Kitty

You probably are correct.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.As far as shooting those slugs go.Carlson (maybe others) make rifled choke tubes for the 870.Probably not as accurate as a fully rifled barrel but should do better than Cyl or IC.

I admit that I am not overly knowledgeable when it comes to shooting slugs.
blush.gif

Are you saying that I could actually shoot the rifled Truball slugs that I have, thru a "rifled" choke tube?
confused.gif

I thought those tubes only worked with slugs like the Hornady SSTs (and similar).
confused.gif

Yes shooting any slug through a rifled choke or barrel is safe.I have a fully rifled barrel for my 835.It shoot's the low priced Rem Slugger ammo almost as well as the sabot type out to around 80 yds.I havent tried to find the max accurate range beyond 80 with either yet.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P. Yes shooting any slug through a rifled choke or barrel is safe. I have a fully rifled barrel for my 835. It shoots the low priced Rem Slugger ammo almost as well as the sabot type out to around 80 yds. I haven't tried to find the max accurate range beyond 80 with either yet.

Thanks for that info, sir!
cool.gif

Back