Do it yourself Skulls

Originally Posted By: 5spdIve been boiling/cleaning (simmering) my skulls for years...in the house!

Me too, that's why I'm still single. I have four white tails stock piled in the freezer from the last couple of seasons for a snow day.

12244756783_080d86bf47_o.jpg

You can see a few of my skulls I've done

Originally Posted By: KillerBear
tt1.gif
thumbup.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
A FEW
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
thumbup1.gif
tt1.gif
drool.gif

Yeah,lol, I have an end table with a glass top filled with the small ones and five head mounts of the BIG boys. God has blessed me. All came off of my land...somebody want to trade of an Elk hunt?

Last edited:
Excellent topic thank you. I use a similar method, but will add the Dawn soap. Good tip. To whiten I pack the boiled skull with cotton batting and keep it soaked with hydrogen peroxide until snow white. Bleaching in the sun works well for adjusting color. For me the pure white looks great, and it also happens to make it a little more artsy than gamey, which is more comfortable for my city-slicker friends. Also when finished, a thin coat of a clear satin (even pearlescent) sealer prevents any future handling stains. :)

Last edited:
ID Clyde, i use this same process with all my pigs and predators too. Some teeth started splitting on some of my old hogs. I started to coat them with some clear finger nail polish from the girlfriend and it seals them up. Did it on a fox a few years back and have not had a problem with it since.

Good write up and points. I've made a million mistakes doing my own skulls. Simmering is the way to go is water mixed with arm and hammer super washing detergent. If you boil, the nasal bones are toast...

I've boiled a head or two and bleached or whitened mine with peroxide enough in a shallow tub to set the head in and i take paper towels strips and lay them up over the top and around the base of the antlers make sure the ends are in the peroxide and it will draw it and soak the towels it bleachers the top of the skull and keeps it from bleaching your antlers. A song as you keep the rags below the hair line on the antlers.

Just my 2 cents lol.

Nice skulls by the way I'm wanting to do a yote and Fox this fall I have a turkey skull I found beside the road complete its awesome looking and set on my radio desk.

Kinda like touch me and this is what you will be like lol.

Scott

You can drop a skull down in a shrimp pot in a mesh bag. The sea lice will quickly clean off all the meat and soft tissue! Not to mention the side benefit of tasty shrimp to eat!!

Wait till it gets into 70s fill bucket with water put in skinned skull. Leave till water gets black and change water. Next time water black drain and rinse with hose. Put in sun for few days! If warm a few week and it's all done.

I've done a couple of deer skulls already that turned out good. I'm about to tackle my aoudad that I killed in January. I'll let you know how that goes...

I clean a pile of heads every year. I helps fund my hunting obsession.
Very good info here....my method the brief version.

Skin, remove lower jaw eyes etc.

Put in a tote of warm water with the arm and hammer.. soak a few days.

Fire up your burner and bring water to simmer with head in from the start.. include arm and hammer or oxyclean.

Usually in 45 minutes or so at a simmer check the skull.. if the tissue is pulling back away from the bone... Pull it out..

Here's the easy part.. get yourself a small pressure washer.. just your average homeowner variety. Place p outside where your allowed to make a mess and spray it clean.. get in every nook and cranny.. pop out the ear buds and knock holes into the brain cavity thru there.. easy to do with a strait screwdriver..

If you do the presoak the tissue literally washes off..

Brush with 40 volume, bag and sit near heat.. I usually allow overnight...

Remove bag and rinse off and let dry.... hang up and enjoy..

Some folks make this a lot harder than it needs to be

Back