.222 bullet performance?

wolftrapper

Has anyone out there used the Hornady 40 gr. V-MAX in .222 Rem.for coyote? I am looking for less fur damage, and wanted to give them a try. I am mostly concerned that they get adequate penetration with a solid hit, before expanding.

Appreciate any input.

I tried them in my rifle but I never could get good groups out of them. I personally use 50gr SP and have gotten very good results as far as damage goes. Most of the time I just have a 22 sized entry hole. I was looking to try and get a little flatter trajectory and tried to use the lighter grain bullets but my rifle just never seemed to like them.

Several years back I tried some 40 gr vmax in .223. They were about equal to 45 gr winchester white box.
I felt the wind was an issue in open ground so found some factory loaded nosler 40 gr ballistic tips w boatail that seemed much better.
Have since moved to 50 gr and deal with an occasional splash or blowout.

Originally Posted By: old catSmall entry hole most of the time, but you don't want to hit bone. Big hole.
I agree, and that's why I don't use 'em on fur any more.

Too bad too -- because they really shoot GREAT out of my glass-bedded Rem 700 with Timney Trigger (2#).

Here's an honest 5-shot group at 100 yards off the bench. These are loaded to 3,900 fps per my Chrony using a max charge of Benchmark powder.

Rem700_222_-_5_100_yds_med_.jpg

Tight groups.

Old No7

Nice group! I like those 700's! I have two in .270 caliber. My coyote rifle of choice is a Winchester M 70, in .222, and I also have a Ruger .22 Hornet, but it lacks the accuracy of the M 70...which is a pre '64.

I used 52, 53, 50g Sierra's with IMR 4198 and 7 1/2 primers. These bullets do not tear up coyotes.

Later on, found a load with 335 and the 55g win, bullets rarely if ever went through a coyote.

Old No7 you gotta like the accuracy of .222. I still own one in a remington 40x believe it is a range master.

Any way I did use it a bit when I fist started coyote hunting,good results with 40g ballistic tip. Did not find it hard on fur but was not pushing that kind of velocity (around 3450.) I believe I was using imr 4198, but I don't have my load info in front of me.

Back