Different Coyotes

E A Poe

I trap coyotes mostly in Michigan and do all right in southern agriculture country but really struggle in the Upper Penninsula.These guys are on a whole different leval,it seems!I don't know if these wilderness animals simply will not tolerate any human scent,have a much larger range or what.Any input is appreciated

Ya coyotes are really good at smelling human, especially on the trap. Also if there's nothing out there, there's nothing out there.

Since coyote are strong animals use the right trap. From what I know, use a dirt hole set by digging a hole and putting the trap in the hole. Use a flat set trap. Always check for the rules and regulations of conservation departments of various states. Check for their tracks so that you can place the trap(high ground or ridge tops). I hope it is applicable to the terrain of the place you mentioned. We here usually follow these procedures to get it trapped. After setting the trap use a blind set. Usually wildlife control services suggest adding bait, lure or scent. Remember next time clean the trap thoroughly because Improper washing could be an impediment in trapping the coyote next time.

Last edited:
When you get out of the ag areas numbers go down and they have to search farther for food. They seem to be more cautious around free food. Sometimes my sets would sit a couple weeks before they would get hit. I liked to set so I could check the traps with out approaching them. I didn't refresh bait or scent, only messing with them if there was a thaw and freeze. There were times I would find where a fox or coyote would dig through a couple feet of snow to a set I had pulled a month before.

Back