Handheld gen 1 monocular

Widow maker 223

Would a hand held gen 1 night vision moncular help night calling. I know seeing 100yds isnt much. Anyone use one along with scanning lights?

Widow Maker,

The Armasight Spark Gen 1 is not to be discounted. It's a cut above considering Gen 1 devices. I have one, purchased it back in the summer and plan to use it for hog hunting. I will say this (and you can quote me on it), that the Spark has as good a resolution as a Gen 3 PVS-14. I have viewed both which includes two different PVS-14 Gen 3's. The difference is that the Spark needs illumination whereas a Gen 3 many times doesn't, and the Spark with a tightly focused illuminator will give you about a half eyepiece view whereas a Gen 3 will be good for the whole view.

I use an 850nm illuminator, focused half way or maybe a little tighter, which makes the Spark a worthwhile consideration if distance is not too great. At 100 yards it's a good device, very sharp and clear and good resolution.

The Spark isn't a Gen 3 and never will be, but also look at the cost difference. Take a look (if you haven't already) at Kevin's (High Tech Redneck) YouTube video test.

Just a thought, especially if money is tight - If all you need is roughly a 100 yard monocular for scanning / spotting, then the Spark should serve that purpose well and at a small fraction of the cost of a PVS-14 Gen 3. Just all depends on your needs and wallet.

David how does the spark compare to the Photon 6.5 using the same IR?

I could see eyes and ID barely (only cause he was barking at me) at 400 yards with my Photon and my IR.

Would the Spark and a good IR see eyes at 200+?

Pmack,

The Photon is very light-sensitive so it probably has an edge on the Spark, but not much. I can even use a strong 940nm TR-38 light on the Photon and see just fine at 100 yards. The Photon is a little bit brighter with the same 850nm light, but also it has 6.5x magnification that helps to see better at 100 yards. The Spark has the usual NV green appearance but it is smooth and clear. I am impressed at the resolution of it considering it's a Gen 1.

I purchased the Spark for hog hunting over feeders. The place I hunt has feeders give or take about 100 yards from tower blinds and the Spark will work just fine for spotting hogs.

Yes, I think I could see eyes at 200 yards with the Spark and a good illuminator. I haven't tested it at that distance but I feel certain I could see eyes. I don't think I could ID at that distance though.

On another subject, I have seen Kevin's videos of the Armasight Vampire that also has the same Core Technology that the Spark has. The Vampire is impressive too in the video, though I haven't looked through one. It is a 3x and has a rather thick crosshair from what I have read. I just wish they would come out with a 5x or 6x in the Spark and a thinner crosshair for a reasonable price. The NV optics with the Core Technology are a big leap up for Gen 1.

Back