DPMS- Panther Bull Sweet 16

WhopperStopper

I was visiting with a guy at the local gun shop in the Twin Cities and he pushing the Sweet Sixteen pretty hard. Price is within a few quarters of $1000. Do any of you people have any experience with this rifle? I am still thinking .223. He claimed 500 yards was within expectations. Any and all comments are much appreciated!

WS

I have one and although I like the rifle very much, I would choose to go a different route. Unless you can convince yourself that the rifle is exactly what you want. You could go many other ways, much cheaper, as or more accurate and more configured for your liking. I know that mine is not the only AR to nickle and dime a guy to death but to get what I wanted I had to spend almost as much again as the original investment and I still don't feel "done" yet. I am no where near being accurate at 500 with mine but that could just be me.
My opinion......shop around

I just looked at dpms web..sweet16 with ss barrel and flat top. I have the same thing 20" with JP trigger I paid 1200 a couple years ago so 1000 probably not far off (and a nice rifle).shop might have a little room to work with ya?

I have a Sweet 16 and I love the thing to death. Now $1000 is more then I paid for mine ($8 something) BUT it was everything I wanted Free float, 16 bull barrel, Flat top. So it fit my bill perfect. I have seen mine shoot two holes four in one hole and he pulled the 5th and blamed the trigger which at the time was not touched. Now I have done the 15 min. trigger job and took some creep out of it and I know he can put them all in one hole.

My second choice was a RR just because they have a lifetime warranty and the 2 stage trigger. But I choose the DPMS over RR because I knew I would reload and that voids any warranty there and after trying out the 2 stage trigger I didn't think I would like it so the DPMS came home with me.
wub.gif

If I recall mine weights in at 12pds with scope and bipod but not sure if that was empty or full so it's not light by any means so think ahead as there is lighter ones out there. Needless to say they are shooters for sure and if it's got the options you want go for it. Now if you want the cheese grader grips and want the tactcool look I would shop around for something else.

I love mine! Yeah it's heavy, but it's a shooter especially after dropping in the Chip McCormic single stage trigger.
I've heard a lotta people down DPMS,but I own the Lr308 and the 16 and the were well worth the money! I think if you don't want a gun that you won't eventually end up sinking extra $$$$ in then stay away from any ar!!! I kwow I'm always finding stuff I want for mine! I guess it's the
(Black Gun Addiction)!

I have a DPMS Bull 20, S.S.1-8" Twist. Free Floated,Flat Top,Jewell 2 Stage Trigger. In .223 of course, shooting 80Gr.Sierra HPBTM-Moly using Varget with Rem Bench Rest Primers.In the "F" Class Match, 600Yd. prone it wiil keep all 10 shots in the 10 and X ring if I do my part. Rifle weighs in at 10.5 lbs. with bi-pod.What a great rifle.WOW. I shoot Prairie Dogs with it also.

Last edited:
I bought one for my middle son and he uses it effectively. I think I paid somewhere in the 8's for it.

I have a Sweet Sixteen its a little heavy but it shoots great. I did add two stage trigger and a paint job. I love mine wouldn't trade it I think I paid 829.00 a couple years ago

20100106_1.jpg

You must have been at the Frontiersman or Bills, both of which are way to high on all their guns. Go to the Gunstop in Minnetonka and your price will be $900 or less.

I have one and it shoots lights out!

Originally Posted By: BEN25.06 I am putting all 3 pound Timney in all of my AR that is a big different than 71/2 pound pull

timney's are awesome, but if you plan to suppress at some point in the future, when you do expect to need an adjustable gas block.

even my rifle length gas system 20" 223 upper is over gassed and having trigger reset issues when running suppressed - the carrier speed is too high and causing issues. I spoke with the folks at timney and they said its a known problem. Adjustable gas block or possibly a buffer weight change will resolve it though.

Got mine used at Scheels for 750$, stupid accurate with 68 bthps. Clay pigeons at 600 were easy when there was no wind the day I got dialed in.

Back