Reasonably priced skinning knife and your favorite sharpening method

FullMoonYoteSkin

Hi Guys. I recently lost my little skinner knife after butchering a steer at someone else's house. I was going to purchase something a little nicer. My price range is up to $150 I'd say, but the cheaper the better - if the quality is there, of course.

Wondering what your personal favorites are for coyotes on up to cattle? Also, what sharpening system do you use?

Victorinox Forschner are incredible value knives that many professional butchers use. They aren't flashy or fancy but are solid hard working blades that take a keen edge, hold it pretty well and touch up easily. A handy sharpener is the Spyderco Sharpmaker and/or a Gatco or Lansky system. Within a $150 budget a guy could buy three or four Forschner knives and a Sharpmaker or Lansky sharpener. You could skin and butcher a lot of game with a smart set up like that.

Benchmade hunter series with the s30v blades. Keep it sharp via ceramic rod and strop versus letting it dull is my favorite method. If one does get dull, it takes a trip through the Work Sharp.

Am I the only guy that still uses Case an Russell ? I've worn my Hawbaker specials down to toothpicks, But keep buying trappers and muskrats. got a couple mid 80's Russell hunters, and a Dadley. Keep touching them up with a diamond stone.

Coyotes to cows is a pretty tall order for just one knife....

If you're skinning coyotes at home Victorinox paring knives make great little skinners for about $6 apiece....

For bigger critters KOA makes some good knives at a good price....some folks look down their nose at D2 steel but I like it for a working knife....

http://www.diggsoutdoors.com/knives-of-a...mbKAaAq8q8P8HAQ

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A3375251%2Cp_4%3AKnives+Of+Alaska&page=2&ie=UTF8&qid=1479390876

Originally Posted By: RePete

For bigger critters KOA makes some good knives at a good price....some folks look down their nose at D2 steel but I like it for a working knife....

I just used my new KOA Alpha wolf for the first time gutting, skinning, and quartering a deer last week. What a handy little knife, and the D2 never slowed down. Shaving sharp when I started, shaving sharp when I finished.

I teally like the Helle knives. Case is still a great knife. I am the same skinning is skinning. I dont use a bigger knife for anything and my latgest skinning knife has a 4inch blade. I have a Puma white hunter that has never skinned anything. I use a fine grit diamond. Red plastic Dmt.

The cheapest and smallest effective sharpener for me is I think the brand is Ez lap fish hook sharpener. About $5 at walmart. Diamond dust on a small 3 inch rod with the handle reverses for a case. It even works on D-2 and lasts for years. I've never worn one out, but have lost a few.
I have an 8 inch diamond flat hone that I use for really dull stuff,but I would never need it if I just touch up occasionaly with the small fish hook sharpener.

Originally Posted By: GCVictorinox Forschner are incredible value knives that many professional butchers use. They aren't flashy or fancy but are solid hard working blades that take a keen edge, hold it pretty well and touch up easily. A handy sharpener is the Spyderco Sharpmaker and/or a Gatco or Lansky system. Within a $150 budget a guy could buy three or four Forschner knives and a Sharpmaker or Lansky sharpener. You could skin and butcher a lot of game with a smart set up like that.

+1

My cousin that is a taxidermist uses these knives, they skin and clean a lot of deer this time of year, not to mention cutting them up. These knives touch up easily. They just use a regular steel to touch them up.

For Deer, Hogs, and Squirrels i use Bahco Carpenter Mora off amazon. I wait till they go on sale and get 4 for $30 shipped. Can never have enough knives.
They are made in Sweden and have a really good polished blade.

i used schrade old timer muskrat knife for years and years. flat wore out a couple of them.

the other day i bought a 4 inch rapala fillet knife to try. have skinned out several coyotes with it. it is now my new favorite for skinning coyotes. fairly inexpensive at around 12 bucks or so.

I recently opened a package in the mail (should have looked at who it was sent to). Opened it up and realized it was my wife's Christmas Present to me - A Ken Onion Work Sharpener.....So far what I've found from using it, is that all of those guys going on about how great they are.....They are right, that thing does wonders!

I use an old style Red Rhino Camp Knife or a Kabar BK16 for skinning and quartering. Both are shaving sharp. I got one of the original Worksharps, and I have to say I didn't like it. I could never get them as sharp as diamond stones will and it just took off too much metal too soon. I prefer to sharpen by feel - no electricity needed.

Originally Posted By: NonnieselmanFor Deer, Hogs, and Squirrels i use Bahco Carpenter Mora off amazon. I wait till they go on sale and get 4 for $30 shipped. Can never have enough knives.
They are made in Sweden and have a really good polished blade.
Best $9.85 I've spent. Bought one, tried it and bought two more the next day.

Back