bead blasted vs un-polished barrel

I always have mine blasted. I just like the dull finish it leaves. Not really sure what the un-polished finish looks like. Probably pretty shiny though.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI always have mine blasted. I just like the dull finish it leaves. Not really sure what the un-polished finish looks like. Probably pretty shiny though.

I like the blasted too.
It leaves a soft gray non-reflective finish and it's a lot cheaper than Cera-kote.

Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelFor what the bead blasting usually costs, I would definitely do it instead of leaving the barrel "as-is".

I almost went with a bead blasted barrel when I ordered my last one from ER Shaw. A standard barrel was $275 which is very fair price these days. But select the bead blast option and the price goes up to $396. Meh. I decided to go with just plain stainless. Wont shoot no different anyway.

I don't mind machine finish, no polish. Not a lover of the matte bead blasted look except for specific applications - barrels not being one of them. I order most of my barrels as machine finish, raw, or in-the-white (which doesn't make much sense to me in Stainless?), maybe give them a bit of a glow with fine emory when I install, then live happy.

Glass bead blasting can produce a shallow hardened surface, other media blasting/dulling does not.

Last edited:
Wow Russ, thats a lot for a blasted finish. When I built my 20P, the smith blasted it for free. Left a nice gray finish on it. I really like it.

That's what I thought too. I mean, it looks pretty cool and all but really, I like the looks of a plain SS barrel anyway. Besides, at 4-6 months turn around I dont want to do anything that will make it take even longer.

U can buy a small blast cabinet and media from harbor freight and it'll pay for itself in 2-3 barrels, assuming u have an air compressor already

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Smokin BarrelFor what the bead blasting usually costs, I would definitely do it instead of leaving the barrel "as-is".

I almost went with a bead blasted barrel when I ordered my last one from ER Shaw. A standard barrel was $275 which is very fair price these days. But select the bead blast option and the price goes up to $396. Meh. I decided to go with just plain stainless. Wont shoot no different anyway.

WOW! That does seem a bit much. Between 3 of the local guys I have used, I have never paid more than $50 to have a barreled action done.

Originally Posted By: MPFDOne of the local smiths here charges $90 to bead blast.

I think I paid $50 each for the last 2 I had done.

Back