Question about FLIR PS 32 lens

1trkyhntr

The clear plastic eyepiece lens on my ps32 is pretty scratched up from wiping fog off with gloved fingers. Probably a hundred times over the last 3 years. I'm talking about the clear plastic lens that the rubber eye cup snaps onto.
I called FLIR today and asked about a replacement but the woman that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about, she was obviously reading from a catch all script, and her english was so broken that I could not understand her.
I know that I can send it back to FLIR (maybe?) and have it replaced, but that might take weeks and I need it now. Does anyone here have any experience with replacing that clear plastic lens cover? I assume that it just snaps on? And what is the trick to get to talk to someone who actually can answer a question at FLIR, and send that part if they will do that?
If I can't get an answer here I guess that I'll have to send it in to FLIR at the end of this season.

Last edited:
1trkyhntr
I got insect repellent on my lens. Now I have lots of opaque dots on the lens. Called FLIR got the same answer you did at first, after some pleading the lady gave me her e mail and I sent her a pic of the lens I was describing, then she understood. Asked if she could send me a new lens, shes said I would have to send it in for repair. Problem is I don't want to be without it. If you have any luck getting them to send you a lens please PM me.
Just looked for the email and can't find it.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupYou will need to get an RMA and send it in for repair, they will not ship you a lens to install yourself.

Thanks, I figured that.
I might take it to an optometrist to see if he can polish it before I ship it back to FLIR.

Those eyepiece covers are epoxied on. To replace it yourself, you'll most likely have to break the old one off. I'd be afraid of debris getting into the LCD area. I like the optometrist idea. Let us know if it works.

Yep, I've had this same problem. I've had to send it in twice after telling them straight up I had scratched the lens. Each time they sent me a RMA and sent me a "new" refurbished unit no questions asked. That's pretty great customer service (though, I dont think the refurbished units are quite as sharp).

I really with they would use a different rubber eye piece.. similar to the one on the IR defense scopes. Their eye piece covers the lens completely and when you put it up to your eye it compresses and you see the screen. Seems to work great at reducing dust/fog so far.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrOriginally Posted By: SkyPupYou will need to get an RMA and send it in for repair, they will not ship you a lens to install yourself.

Thanks, I figured that.
I might take it to an optometrist to see if he can polish it before I ship it back to FLIR.

Please report back on that.

I polished the plastic lens cover today with auto polish/wax. I used a super soft micro fiber cloth and rubbed for about 1 minute up and down and wiped off, reapplied and rubbed 1 minute back and forth and wiped off, reapplied and rubbed 1 minute circular.
I am very surprised and happy with the results. The "haze/foggy" scratches are completely gone. The larger, deeper scratches are still there but they do not interfere with my view. It has the cleanest and sharpest view that it has had in quite a while.
I might still take it to my optometrist the next time that go to see if he can get the deep scratches out but I am pretty happy with it the way it is. I can see through it WAY better than before I polished it.
I was able to "probable" ID a bobcat with it tonight at about 80 yards. I confirmed the ID through the scope.

Last edited:
For the future you need to put on a vinyl screen protector and cut to fit. Any smartphone or smart watch film will do.
Sometimes helps lessen the effect of existing scratches as well.

Last edited:
Waxing a plastic lens cover is a good way to fill in scratches and clear up the view. Small airplanes have plastic windshields and it is common practice to wax them to clear the view. Glad it worked for you. You'll have to do it again once in a while to renew the wax.

One for a pvs-14 might work if you can find one. I keep my ps32 on a lanyard and drop it down in my shirt when I'm not using it. Keeps the light hidden and protects the lens some.

Plastic polish kit

91%2BfdxUQ73L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Be careful with auto plastic polish kits. It made mine worse. Not pointing blame, but I should have researched it a bit more. It's still usable and I think with the correct plastic repair totally fixable..

dang it....

Slow buffing to keep plastic cool.
Too fast and plastic will start to melt.
Safest is to do it by hand, watch a tv show while buffing it .
An hour will go by in no time.

I ordered some novus last night. I did some reading and a lot of people (including yourself) recommended it. Worst case I'll get a RMA and pay the stupid tax for a new plastic lens.

Back