Is it possible to call too much at a set

Illinoiscoyote

So I've always thought that you don't want to call too much at a set that 5 min breaks or so are needed between 2-3 min of calling at the most. This is all approximate of course. But I've had 2 experiences that have led me to question this. First experience I had a coyote sitting just out of range and trying to get him to move I kept calling and calling for about 15-20 min straight. He never moved but about 40 min into the stand I had another coyote come running in from apparently a long ways away. And then just the other night I saw eyes out in the field that everytime I called they would look and then when I quit they would ignore me. I'm pretty sure it was a coon a good ways off but point of the story is I again left the caller running for a long time out of desperation and at 25 min into the stand had a coyote run up. So I guess my question is it even possible to call too much at a set.

Coyotes have A.D.D

if your fishing, you don't start reeling the lure in and then stop half way and drink a soda and then start reeling again do you?(I don't)

I have watched to many coming in on a sting.. Turned off the call, and seen them stop and start mousing.
Then turn the call on again and they have started coming in again, or worse, they now just ignore.

I get taking a break when you are hand calling. First you would pass out if you didn't. (or i would anyways) Second, you take the break to make them come looking for where that sound came from but you take a break so that you can shoot and surprise them when they come looking. I have personally had friends hand calling had coyotes run right in and get within 10 yrds finding that rabbit. So in those cases i get the break.

The other side is ecaller and decoy setup..
I set that out and put myself in the best shooting position, while the call is in the best place to attract the coyote. In this case i just let it roll.

So you let it play for 15-20min straight? I've hunted with a guy who insist on the long breaks. I've seen him wait 10-15 min between calling and call coyotes in but I seem to have better luck with more calling

there are those that believe that since a rabbit has very small lungs and can only squeal for so long before going quiet that it only makes sense to do the same when trying to call a coyote, BUT it's been proven many MANY times over that because it makes sense to us that it doesn't necessarily make sense to the coyote.
I believe constant sound calls as many or more than the other way.
I've seen times where a coyote was coming to the call only to jump a jack rabbit and go into hot pursuit of the rabbit, lose track of it, then commence to coming to the call. I also had three coyotes all together one time and it took me several different rabbit distress sounds before two decided to come, the third decided to leave.
All this said to say, the coyote doesn't play by OUR rules, they play by theirs and we really don't know how they think, even though we'd like to think that we do.

I like to keep them coming straight hot 'n true like a torpedo. I want them focused with their ears and eyes - not their nose. Give them too much time and they'll revert automatically to their nose because they don't hear the sound and haven't seen anything yet so the most infallible sense they have is the nose. If they go downwind it's a very short time until it's over. In my hilly rough country I can use terrain to try to funnel the coyote and make it difficult for it to get dead downwind. If I can keep them stimulated enough I can bring them inside shotgun range. A crosswind set-up works well here for me. Here a coyote can be 100 yards downwind of me and I'll never see him. However, he will surely smell me. My country is not called or pressured by other coyote callers so my coyotes aren't unusually spooky and sometimes can be pretty naive. Because of that, and that I may just as likely call a cat as a coyote I dislike long pauses.

It seems that early season is a free for all, call til you're deaf.
About mid season the hand calls win more. End of season an ecall can be equal to firing a gun. Might as well put a calling cd in the truck and hot rod around slamming the doors and toss out a couple beer cans.

If you play a sound for 3 minutes and then shot off the sound and no animal heard your sound during those 3 minutes you will no longer be calling during the time the sound is off.

During the 5 minutes of silence whatever you were trying to call may be moving around and may have been able to hear your sound if your sound was playing.

I have had coyotes come charging into my e-caller after calling for 25 minutes without any pauses. I don't think those coyotes heard my sound and ran full blast for 25 minutes to get to my caller. What may have happened was after 22 minutes of calling the coyote moved to the top of a ridge from a canyon on the other side of the ridge or the wind direction changed a little so the coyote first heard the call 22 minutes after I stared playing the sound.

If you played your distress sound for 3 minutes three times with 3 five minute pauses per stand that would be a 24 minute stand.

I am a firm believer that if you make a 24 minute stand with the sound playing for 24 minutes you will have a better chance of a coyote hearing your sound in 24 minutes than if you played your sound for 9 minutes.

When a coyote is running fast towards my e-caller and I am using a rifle I will mute the sound when the coyote is about 150 yards away or less to get the coyote to stop. About half the time I can get the coyote to stop for a good rifle shot by muting the caller.

So if a coyote is headed towards your e-caller and you have not seen it yet and you shut off the sound to take a 5 minute break the coyote may stop and find something else to do since it doesn't hear the distress sound anymore.

"Yes"....that being said, my sets are averaged out at about 20 minutes. Then I'm gone to the next! Buts that's just me. Regards, Drop

I'm pretty busy with the call, e-caller or hand calls. A long pause for me is a minute.

There are better callers here than me though.

I had to share this. I read this post last night and when I went out this morning I decided to try a little experiment so I just started calling continuously. At 24 minutes this female came running in. In all seriousness I never wait that long I'm usually packed up and gone by 20 minutes. Think I'm going to change my tactics a little bit! My theory has always been that you could not hear my calls if you were 24 minutes away just because of the thick Timber.

I will wait longer than anybody just cause it's tough to move. I've had kills at 45 min and have run into them when leaving in the vehicle,
If patient they will come by a good spot within a couple days.

I call pretty much continuously as well. I have seen too many coyotes lose interest if the call is shut off. It baffles me how you can have a distress of sorts screaming and coyotes just flat out ignoring it and just mousing away.

Put me in the continuous calling camp.

I do take a couple short breaks each stand. For my own sanity. I just get too tired of hearing that same jackrabbit squalling all day. Need a break here and there just to listen to the sagebrush grow. I don't take those breaks because I think it's helping my success any though.

- DAA

I made 2 stands last night and called constant other than a couple breaks less than a minute long. Called in coyotes both stands. Didn't get either one but I'm going to keep trying the constant calling it seemed to work last night

Constant for me. Like many here I see them slow down and stop when the sound stops. Usually I mute when they are about 200 yds out.

Back