Why would Tikka make 6.5 Creedmoor in 20 inch barrel

Originally Posted By: HawkCreekThe bigger question is why Tikka continues to use blocked long actions for their short action calibers.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would invest heavily in a true short action tikka..... and imagine a 3 lug bolt. It would be like a sako, only half the price.

Probably because people think they are tacticool mall ninjas and 2 inches shorter barrel is the difference between surviving the zombie Apocalypse or not?

The real question is why do they chamber 25-06 in a 22 inch barrel? Why not 24?

Originally Posted By: CampowerI'm very curious, if you were to keep only one , which one would it be? Would you go with a break or suppressed? (Deciding weather or not to purchase my first suppressor)

Depends on use IMO. LR match shooting, break for me. Hunting, CAN.

Speed is great, but a good bullet shooting constantly beats all. My 21.5" 223 gets to a 1000 just fine. most people don't like luggin around 26" varmint weight or larger barrels.

A lot can be done in terms of distance and accuracy with short barrels.

SBLM......................Short Barreled Lives Matter
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: xphunterA lot can be done in terms of distance and accuracy with short barrels. Quite true.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Originally Posted By: xphunter

SBLM......................Short Barreled Lives Matter
wink.gif

HAHA that just made my whole day!

It's always good to put a smile on someone's face.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeShorter barrels are a little handier when screwing a "can" on .

Beat me to it. 4-10" of tax stamp on a 26" tube can get tedious unless a bench queen.

speed isnt everything....if that was the case the guys with the 6.5 grendels couldnt compete with our rounds going at 2500 fps... if that were the case i guess somebody better tell this guy his rifle cant do this

Perception ranges widely, People have been cramming every caliber possible into short AR's and it is accepted as cool.
Just mention shortening the barrel on a .22-250 bolt rifle and guys that haven't posted in years will dust off the keyboard to protest.

When I decided to put a can on my 6.5 Creedmoor I cut it from 25" to 22". I lost 55 fps, or a little over 18 fps per inch. Measured multiple times on my magnetospeed, and verified by my drops at over 1000 yards. With my 22" barrel I have taken it over 1300 multiple times, no issue at all. I wouldn't think twice about cutting it to 20". I also run Hornady brass and am on my 8th loading on some of it and the primer pockets are still good. That tells you my loads aren't too hot, with Hornady brass being known for blowing pockets pretty easy.

When I started building 6.5x47s I went with a 26" because longer is better...then went to a 22" because that 9" can made the rifle a telephone pole. My third and favorite by far has a 16" tube and is shooting 2950fps with the same load that was getting 3100fps in the 26". Totally worth the weight and length savings to me.

Originally Posted By: Crosswire3When I started building 6.5x47s I went with a 26" because longer is better...then went to a 22" because that 9" can made the rifle a telephone pole. My third and favorite by far has a 16" tube and is shooting 2950fps with the same load that was getting 3100fps in the 26". Totally worth the weight and length savings to me.

Would love to hear some more info on your 16" 6.5x47. Thinking about doing one myself around 16-18" for a suppressed hunting rig.

What kind of load is running 2950 in the 16"?

Thanks in advance.

Defiance Deviant Hunter Action
Shilen Stainless Match Rem Sporter 16"
McMillan Hunter Edge
Timney at 8oz
Leupold VX3 3.5-10
TBAC ULTRA7

It is my short/light/handy rifle that can go anywhere. Took it out to 800yrd on steel in Texas where it also took a 200lb hog. Shoots 1/4" off a bipod/bag, and doesn't give up much velocity with 123gn amax and Varget.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crosswire3Defiance Deviant Hunter Action
Stiller Stainless Match Rem Sporter 16"
McMillan Hunter Edge
Timney at 8oz
Leupold VX3 3.5-10
TBAC ULTRA7

It is my short/light/handy rifle that can go anywhere. Took it out to 800yrd on steel in Texas where it also took a 200lb hog. Shoots 1/4" off a bipod/bag, and doesn't give up much velocity with 123gn amax and Varget.

Stiller barrel? U sure?

Back