Vmax problems in AR

jacobhwrd

Not sure if this is the right forum or not but I am getting issues with the vmax bullet not wanting to feed correctly in my ar. It cycles anything else fine but nothing with a polymer tip. Is this a normal problem or something I can adjust on my gun? I have started trying Winchester varmit express and hornady spire point and it cycles them fine and groups well so I will probably stick with them and move on but still curious what would cause this.

Are you reloading or is this factory rounds.When I handload them I have to make sure they are not to long or they will not fit in the mag.

I handload the 60 gr. V-Max and load it to magazine length and have never had a malfunction in my Rock River. Shoots sub .75" groups and is poison on the terminal end.

just thinking out loud, especailly since you're dealing with factory ammo...

have you tried a different magazine?

what kind of mag are you using?

which ammo specifically are you having trouble with (several company's load VMAX, not just Hornady factory ammo).

Also what weight of VMAX is giving you problems, or is it all of them?

Originally Posted By: Plant.One

just thinking out loud, especailly since you're dealing with factory ammo...

have you tried a different magazine?

what kind of mag are you using?

which ammo specifically are you having trouble with (several company's load VMAX, not just Hornady factory ammo).

Also what weight of VMAX is giving you problems, or is it all of them? I agree, possibly the mag. Or are you running it too wet (oil) AR's seem to like minimal oil? Then again, never had a problem with any of my AR platforms. And I like and use the Polymer tips.

I am using a 10 round bushmaster mag. It was the only 10 round mag I could find around here. I olanned in picking up a magpul but hadn't tried yet. And yes I'm using hornady 55g vmax factory loads. I have a 20 round magpul I can try when I get home. I didn't know that would be an issue if it was cycling everything else. Also my ar doesn't seem to be very oily. Most of my guns are cleaned then wiped down with an oily rag upon reassembly so it's not dripping with oil but still good lunrication. I don't know how much is to much with an ar.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with my Bushmaster or Rock River. I shoot a lot of factory and reloads with various v-max bullets, with no issues. Probably a mag problem.

its not likely an over oiling issue.

lots of folks running their bolt carriers all but dripping wet, almost to the point that the first couple rounds spray oil around.

as to why the magazine, just could be that the feed lips are a little off and presenting the bullet differently.

the other issue i could possibly point to - is this a factory upper? or is it something you built yourself?

what i'm thinking is does your upper have M4 feed ramp cuts and your barrel doesnt? if so there could be a lip in there that they're catching on.

this is the situation i'm talking about - look at the "bad" picture
gallery_18313_138_71257.jpg

can you get us a couple pictures please - one of a bullet in stoppage so we can see where/how its hanging up, and additionally a picture of inside the receiver like above?

as with anything like this - good detailed pics are going to be very very helpful in resolving this for you.

I've run these through my Colt with zero problems. First with factory superformance rounds & later with a variety of hand loads.

Yeah this was a build. I didn't even think to look at the feed ramp like your talking about. I will check it out this afternoon when I get home and see if I can get some pictures of it feeding wrong. I'm still in the process of changing it so I can hunt with it so any issues I can fix now would be best.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my feed ramp. I think that is the issue. It's look like it's m4 extension and m4 receiver but to me it looks like the extension is turned just a hair and that's causing my feeding issues. How hard is this to turn? Do I need a specific tool? ..........just realized I would you can't post pictures directly to the forum and have to post them then post a link. But I'm about 90% sure it's the extension not lining up.

Check the mag...I had a new AR that would jam every 3d round...I was ready to send it back to the Manu.....until I decided to change mags......switched mags, and NEVER had another issue. Just for kicks, I put the old/devil mag back in, and in a few rounds, a jam....I knew then, It was the mag. Gun has ran flawless since I switched the mag....just a thought.

Originally Posted By: CaliCoyoteCallerCheck the mag...I had a new AR that would jam every 3d round...I was ready to send it back to the Manu.....until I decided to change mags......switched mags, and NEVER had another issue. Just for kicks, I put the old/devil mag back in, and in a few rounds, a jam....I knew then, It was the mag. Gun has ran flawless since I switched the mag....just a thought.

I had this exact same experience. 3rd round always. new pmags in 10, 20, and 40 worked flawlessly.

After a lot of of tinkering at home and taking everyone advise into account I tried putting in my 20 round pang and hand cycling rounds through then noticed scaring on all my rounds. There is a copper buildup on both feed ramps and they aren't exactly lined up. A friend of mine said he had the exact same problem on the one he built and was able to buff the feed ramp to fix the problem. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back