full float handguard ?

Yup.

If you're REALLY consistent in firing free recoil from a rest and bag, accuracy isn't changed much. If you're a human being, you won't be REALLY consistent anywhere except when shooting free recoil from a rest and bags, so your bipod, sling, off-hand, sticks, etc groups will be very different between the two.

V-terror,
Could you elaborate please.... I sight in at a bench with sandbags but have cross sticks for when calling. I also occasionally bail out of the rig and run to a barbed wire fence for a rest at a dog spotted from the ranch road. Any comments as to what to expect with and AR firing from a bench vs cross sticks? I have free floated and standard stocked ARs. Our gun club won't allow shooting from the dirt using cross sticks so I am confined to the bench or concrete.

It's your point of impact that is most likely to change depending on what forces are applied to your forearm which is attached directly to your barrel. For example, leaning into a bipod or pulling with a tight sling may pull the handguard/barrel to one side affecting barrel harmonics and recoil.

A free float handguard doesn't touch your barrel and is less effected by that.

However, a rifle will also likely have a slight change in point of impact off a bench vs off stix or freehand because of the way it affects recoil independent of a free floated or stock handguard. Might be a big change, might not be noticable, you'll have to test it to see. On my rifles it's never been an issue at reasonable hunting distances.

Back