A good thing coyotes stink

fratri

I went out for a coyote hunt this morning. I setup just before legal light and waited.... Once it go light enough to see I started off with a few coyote howls (hand calls).... Waited a few minutes and then went to dying rabbit (hand calls)... I had setup my ecaller and decoy about 30 yds to the left of me in the open field.

After a few minutes a train goes by and I hear a coyote on my left (very far away) howl. I howl back and we speak back and forth for a few minutes. As I concentrate my efforts on my left (vocalizing with this coyote) I forget about the bush on my right...

I don't notice this coyote until he is the field 25 yds away from me, I get excited, lift my gun off shooting sticks and snap my safety off, coyotes sees/hears me and starts to run off... I panic and fire a shot off before I can centre the crosshairs on him now he picks up speed, I take another fast shot and another miss, then I must have calmed down, waited that extra second to get the crosshairs on the coyote and pull the trigger....

Not sure if I hit it or not at the time but it looks like the last bullet found it's mark just before him going into the bush.....In total he went 100 yds with 3 bullets following him...
smile.gif

After shooting at this coyote, (I thought I missed) I let the ecaller play for 15 more minutes in hopes of getting that original one (from my left) to come in, but it never did show....

I packed up my gear and went for a walk/look... I did not see any blood or hair, walked the edge looking for any sign, did not see any.... After about 5-10 minutes of searching I decide to go for a walk and stake out a new sitting location/calling spot for next time.....(a little bummed at this point-can't believe I missed such a close shot)

30 minutes later I am making my way back to the truck, decide to go have another look for that coyote, as I near the area, I slow it right down.... As I am doing my search (take 3 steps, stop and look around-take 3 steps, stop and look) I smell something God awful, like death hits me.... (My mind thinks about a thread I read about smelling dear before seeing them)
I think maybe its the coyote? I take a few more steps toward the direction of the smell (wind must have shifted from earlier) and there lies my coyote...
smile.gif

Way cool story. I personally don't think they stink unless they are gut shot. Even then it's not that bad. What stinks in a guy wearing enough cologne on to marinate in.

Man I hear ya on the stink. I just skinned two yesterday and they stink so bad makes your eyes water. I've try'd washing them with all kinds of soaps and they still stink. Makes me wonder how they can smell so well when they stink so bad!

They really smell when they have been hitting the hog barn pig piles. Often they end up with diarrhea,and their hair will be wet even when it is very cold out.

Nice write-up with the pics and good going! I haven't really noticed much of a smell on any of the coyotes I've taken. Where did you hit him?

I hit him on his left side half way back and it came out-well it actually stopped on his right front shoulder...I found the mushroomed bullet under his skin (right front shoulder)....

This guy (not sure why) but he really stunk.... The only reason I found him was because I hit his sent cone. I was walking along the edge trying to find blood when I smelled something awful...I am glad I decided to follow up on the smell....

Not the first time I have taken a stinky coyote but the first time I found one because of the smell...

Smell or no smell, they all clean up the same...

Last edited:
If there is a dead animal to eat, coyotes will. No matter the extent of decay. Not only do they eat it, they roll in it and pretty much just cover themselves with the stench. I don't know if I've ever shot a coyote that didn't stink.

Originally Posted By: gord mccooNice coyote congrats. What caliber .223? and what type of bullet. Figure it can't be a vmax type if you found it mushroomed.

It is a .223 was using a 55gr Hornady SP bullet...

WTG frati!
Like I mentioned on the CGN site, I've sniffed out a few that I may have otherwise lost.
Looks like you've also missed the snow's so far.

Originally Posted By: utah yoteWay cool story. I personally don't think they stink unless they are gut shot. Even then it's not that bad. What stinks in a guy wearing enough cologne on to marinate in.

Typically, I wouldnt comment on this statement, had it not been for Friday night. Fri night, I went out with a buddy for a little black friday calling and we killed the most vile smelling varmint Ive ever smelled. My buddy shot a large male coyote in the chest, and let me tell you, I dont know that Ive ever in my life smelled an animal that stunk so bad. Words cant describe. I can tell you that when I got a good wiff of him, I began to gag and almost lost my dinner...it was horrible!!! Dont know what was up with him, but he was raunchy!

Let me commend you on a great write up. I really liked the pictures. Thanks so much for taking the time to post and add to the pictures. I really glad you took the time to do this for everyone. I wish more people took the time to do what you did.

Back