Making 17/223 brass

Yotecallr

I'm buying a set of Hornady dies in 17/223 for a BHW barrel I'm getting. How do I form a 17/223 case from 223 brass ? Thanks

Originally Posted By: YotecallrI'm buying a set of Hornady dies in 17/223 for a BHW barrel I'm getting. How do I form a 17/223 case from 223 brass ? Thanks

Lube that .223 brass nice and slick (not too much!) and run it into your .17/223 sizing die. That's it. I dun it a bajillion times.

Originally Posted By: YotecallrI'm buying a set of Hornady dies in 17/223 for a BHW barrel I'm getting. How do I form a 17/223 case from 223 brass ? Thanks

I fought this until I figured it out. Run the 223 into a gutted 223 die then into the 17-223 sizer. I recommend outside chamfer but it is not really necessary but it doesn't hurt. I use the same process on my 20 TAC and PRAC.

Some just run it straight in but I like to be a bit less forceful. You should clean up the case mouths too as many will be uneven.

Greg

Unless BHW has changed something in the last 6 months or so. Make sure that you use a SB die on your first run through because they have or at least they did when I got my barrel for the 17-223 they were using Match chambers in it and I could not get the rounds to even chamber with a very heavy cam-over on the press. Switch to a sb die on that I gutted on the 1st run then run them through the 17-223 die and good to go. Just FYI

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinUnless BHW has changed something in the last 6 months or so. Make sure that you use a SB die on your first run through because they have or at least they did when I got my barrel for the 17-223 they were using Match chambers in it and I could not get the rounds to even chamber with a very heavy cam-over on the press. Switch to a sb die on that I gutted on the 1st run then run them through the 17-223 die and good to go. Just FYI

I've used Hornady gutted dies but I also trim with a Dillon set up and that is obviously a SB rig so it is cheating in a way. I use a large amount of once fired brass so using the Dillon gives me a baseline to work with across the board.

Greg

Back