H335 and temperature

gmww

When powder was becoming hard to come by I resorted to finding a powder that I could use for reloading several of my firearms. This was because I could get H335 and wanted to simplify the amount of different powders I used. I use it in my .223, 7mm Br, 6x45, and I'm developing a load for a .243 win.

I keep reading how H335 is temp. sensitive. I've never really noticed it before but I wasn't really paying too much attention since the animals I was shooting at didn't notice it.

Can someone who has 1st person experience with the temp. issue tell me what they noticed as far as accuracy and pressure signs? I don't doubt it but I would like to read some 1st person accounts. My use is for mostly 0-400 yards of shooting. My AR15 seemed to shoot the loads in 80 degrees as well as 55 degrees.

Thanks.

Some will say that winter time loads will cause grief in the hot days of summer. I have never had the problem but use temperature stable powders mostly.

have that problem with R25 in my .338/378 over 50f and the bolt binds
colder and a super load didn't shot all that well till I got to max loads

Ive been running h335 for a long time, never had a issue with overpressure any time of the year. I do all my powder load testing after winter when its warmer and shoot those loads throughout the year with no changes even in -20* cold winters.

I too have been using H335 for a number of years now and haven't had any issues with it. I use it in my 6x45 and .223 ARs as well as a .223 bolt gun. I do load development in warm temps and haven't had any pressure issues. Accuracy remains consistent and good.

I use H335 in my 204, 223 and 22-250 with no signs of excessive pressure and accuracy remains constant. Some days at the range were hot and humid.

Here Kitty Kitty

I started my load workups from hornady #9 manual 55gr v max and went all the way up to close to hodgdons max to get the best velocity and accuracy and did this from April-August and some days it was so hot out I was sweating just walking down the 100yard range and hanging out in the shoot shack and noticed no issues in a bolt gun.

I ended up with 24-24.2gr with LC brass and magnum primers and seated close to the lans and no issues but as always work up from min and look for signs. from what I've read I wouldn't do a workup in the dead of winter either. I would use a mag primer for winter loads from what I've been told so I just did my summer workups with mag primers and should be g2g in the winter.

I actually got way better accuracy with the v max from benchmark powder and cci magnum primers. just picked up 2lbs for $47 and this will be used in my winter time and very hot summer days shooting and the h335 I have left for anything else.

Once met gentleman from aberdeen proving grounds. He told me a proof load was a standard load heated to 140f. Heat speeds up all chemical reactions. H335 has only given me pressure signs on very hot days in hot rifles.

I had a great load with H335 I perfected in the late spring for my coyote rifle. However, as the temps got colder and colder, I noticed a big difference in accuracy. I changed my powder from H335 to Benchmark and never ran into issues again.

While shooting at the range breaking in the 6x45 I got to thinking about the chamber temp. I'm in the second phase of breaking in the barrel with three shot groups, cleaning, cooling and shooting again.

When I shoot at Sage rats in NV I'm often shooting up to a 75-100 rounds per sitting before cleaning. Needless to say the barrel gets pretty warm. I'm thinking other than the first couple of shots, anything after that is going to be chamber heat. I'll have to see if my point of impact changes from cold to hot chamber much. Of course after I finish my second phase of breaking in the barrel.

chamber heat might become an issue if you get a hot barrel, and jack a shell in and let it "cook" for several minutes before acquiring your next target and taking the shot. A simple remedy to this is leave your chamber open after each shot and don't chamber another round until your next target is acquired then the round won't sit in the chamber long enough to get hot.
Like most others I use h335 in a couple different rifles, and the one that I could have problems with if I didn't do what I just described is my .17 Fireball. I've had it hot many times but I don't chamber a round until I've got a target found and have the rifle in position for the shot. Never had a problem with heat and h335.

Last edited:
Back