What are you guys using thermal wise to scan with?

zhelton

The great state of arkansas says we cant predator hunt at night so its not feasable to purchase a nv or thermal scope. I do goto texas a few times a year to hunt at night but still cant justify the cost. However i would like a thermal monocular to scan with in arkansas hog hunting and in texas. Have seen the flir models out there is there others as well?

Any downside to the 19a? The videos look really good and would be perfect for what im wantin to do. Time to raise some thermal funds..

Downside to any of the "A" models is the LCD screen. It freezes up when it gets cold. OLED does not.

I use an Armasight Zeus 640 42mm. Small enough to run as a handheld but is a legit rifle scope as well.

My buddy does have a Pulsar HD38a and a HD50s handheld he's probably going to sell soon if you're interested in either of those two units.

Thanks for the info. Not sure when funds will be available for a thermal purchase. Will be selling off some of my other guns and such to help finance this and according to the moderator in the classifieds i dont have enough posts to qualify for listing items for sale here.

Best hand held I have ever used! https://tnvc.com/shop/ir-patrol-xr-extended-range-thermal-monocular/

20160828_195026_resized_zps4oyeclnh.jpg

^^^many people have had issues with LCD displays in the cold, myself included. I've owned 5 or 6 different pulsars and the LCD models would lag in the bitter cold and the OLED ones wouldn't. Only difference in the units being the display.

Originally Posted By: mdmorrowDownside to any of the "A" models is the LCD screen. It freezes up when it gets cold. OLED does not.

I use an Armasight Zeus 640 42mm. Small enough to run as a handheld but is a legit rifle scope as well.

My buddy does have a Pulsar HD38a and a HD50s handheld he's probably going to sell soon if you're interested in either of those two units.

This is not necessarily the case with all 19A"s. I haven't had any issues down to -20.

Just asking a question, but those who have trouble with the LCD screens freezing, are you running the units off an external battery pack and keeping them on all the time. I thought maybe some folks trying to run them off internal batteries might be turning them off a lot to conserve battery power.

I know when I look at my Apex through the 19A that it has a nice hot thermal signature when turned on, so I'm assuming they are generating some amount of heat internally.

Last edited:
I always run mine on the external pack. It's never had AA's in it. I turn mine on as soon as I get out of the truck and it's on the whole time so maybe that has something to do with it.
I'm sure the OLED display perform better, just didn't want someone reading about LCD screens freezing and think it happens all the time.

It would be rare to see it cold enough where I am for the screen freeze, but like you I turn mine on at the start of the hunt and never turn them off until the hunt is over. Maybe some others will chime in on whether they are seeing the freezing while running their thermals constantly using external batteries.

Another good plus for the Pulsar 19a . Is the little Pic. Rail on the side . If you go hunting with shooter/Spotter . The spotter mounts a IR laser/illum. unit on the side of the 19a . Great for targeting and Illuminating Dogs for the shooter . The 19a is not that big anyway, and It' just efficient fast and easy to handle 19a with both units witnessed together .

I also been lucky and not had a freeze screen in freezing weather on the 19a . but I only had it when in the 'Teens' with it, never under the zero deg. mark . When I use it, I always keep it On-power but when I drop it. I let i go inside my outer jacket hanging on the lanyard out of the wind .
Only time I have had the freeze screen on the 19a is when I get lazy for frequent recalibration NUK when set on the 'manual cal. mode' . The 19a really needs multiple NUK every minute for the 1st 5 minutes .

Back