6.8 spc question

rjs

new to the 6.8 i notice some ammo is small primer and others are large primer , what is the reason for this , and what is your preference .

Originally Posted By: rjsnew to the 6.8 i notice some ammo is small primer and others are large primer , what is the reason for this , and what is your preference .

Remington decided on the LR when they came out. Everything else I've seen is SR. The REM gives a bit higher velocities thanks to the primer change according to our testing.

No real preference though the REM may last a bit longer than some of the some of the softer stuff like Hornady or FC. It is harder to find and I have some squirreled away but I load the SR stuff on my 550 and am too lazy to swap the priming mechanism out.

Greg

I have used both large and small primer. I see no difference in accuracy. If you load them high perhaps the small primer is the way to go. I always use mag small and large primers, so it makes no matter to me. They are both thick cups.

I saw this post and remembered reading about primers at the AR Performance website.

http://ar15performance.com/faqs

"We do not recommend the use of large primer brass or ammo loaded with silver primers other than CCI450s or Wolf Magnums, CCI 41s are mil spec primers, brass colored, determined by the mil to be the best primers for use in AR15s. If you use large primers or thin cup small primers and the gases burn through the primer(pierce) or leak around the primer and erode the bolt face it is not covered under warranty."

Back