Some new territory yields my first triple and an epic weekend!

204 AR

Wow where to start! At the beginning...

The whole family traveled on Thanksgiving, to stay the night with my sister and her family. My brother in law has a few places to hunt there and we thought a black friday coyote hunt might be fun. I really wanted to call one in for him as he's never seen it work. My lovely wife also went with us since she's never been able to go along before. Well as luck would have it, the second stand paid off. Some of the country we were hunting:

Pretty neat country. About 5 minutes in this guy came in textbook, on the side my wife and I were watching. My b-i-law never saw it coming unfortunately, but at least he took our picture!

So that leads us to today. Earlier in the week we got a call from some friends with a ranch that were having a few problems with coyotes. The numbers they claimed to be seeing left me with some doubt, but I doubt no longer. My regular hunting partner and I cleared our schedules to go out today and try to help them out. After getting a quick tour of the place we made our first stand in a stackyard about 1/4 mile from the barn yard. We had a victim before we even got set up, had to be sneaky and lured him out in the open with bay bee cottontail for the shot. It didn't go quite as planned because I forgot to drop the bolt when we left the truck, and tried to release it quietly. Apparently it didn't close all the way as all I got was a "click". After fumbling around the coyote started trotting off, so I repositioned, got him stopped and put him down. #1 in the books. It was an old dog, with a wrinkled face even.

Now we officially started the stand, going with snowshoe #2, playing towards a marshy lake. Not a couple minutes later another came trucking around from the other side of the lake, got about to the first one laying there, and quickly ate lead. It was walking at the shot, and was a spinner so it took another one to put it down. Wow first double! Kept calling for 10 minutes or so and nothing else was showing. As we gathered up to retrieve the kills, another was coming from the other way! It figured it out at 75 or 100 yds, and turned tail, running up a large hill. Leaning against the hay bales i got him in the scope, howled/barked him to a stop and drilled him through the heart at 220 yds. He went over the top of the hill but didn't go far. Here's the glory shot:

So at this point we showed the rancher, who was amazed, having never heard any of the shots. That's suppressed hunting for ya, pretty sweet.

On to stand two, about 3/4 mile away on a side-hill facing a meadow and another lake. Four minutes into Lightning Jack one came trucking over the hills on the other side of the meadow and down within 80 yds. I let him get by me, Larry barked him to a stop and dropped him. No glory shot, Larry is camera shy.

Stand 3 was actually a blank. Dang it.

Stand four was a side hill overlooking pasture and yet another lake. Seven or 8 minutes in one came sneaking in, going across in front of us maybe 300 yds out. Figured he'd get closer but he went the long way around, coming back around a hill. Decided he didn't like the looks of things and started back towards where he came from. After emerging out of a little draw and back into sight, Larry made a great shot after barking him to a stop. That was a great kill, I thought that one was getting away.

Stand 5 was only 4 or 500 yds from the last one, but facing the other way. I really thought this was a long shot, but what the heck. About 5 or 6 minutes in the whitest coyote I've ever seen came from clear across the road, into the weed filled bottom ground we were watching. It started and stopped half a dozen times, and at about 150 yds I flattened it. Forgot to get a pic of this one which is a shame because it was a great one.

If you're keeping track that's six down so far.

We were actually leaving, when I spotted another in a pasture about 3/4 mile from where we just were. Backed up, hid the truck, popped over a hill and with it 800 yds out and in sight tried everything in the book to lure it our way. It laid down, wasn't interested, wasn't scared either. Enough was enough and I said I'm going after it. Long story short using the hills for cover I stalked within 200 yds, as I crawled over the last little knob it jumped and trotted up the side of the next hill, where it died. Pretty exiting to spot and stalk my first, and an old male at that.

I thought they looked good in the back of the truck:

I may never see a 7 coyote day again, so thought I'd better share. Thanks for reading!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah i will remember these hunts for a long time, that's what it's all about. This one would have been great it one of the girls would have come along. Of course something like that would spoil a new hunter lol! And yeah the rancher was floored when I called him.

Man that looks like fun!! Finally received my suppressors last week. Cant wait till I get my first suppressed kill. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.

A 7 coyote day really stands out for sure. Great pictures, good looking country, good story. Kudos to all concerned. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like too much fun!

Originally Posted By: 204 AR
I may never see a 7 coyote day again, so thought I'd better share. Thanks for reading!

You might be surprised
smile.gif

- DAA

Originally Posted By: flintrockResults like that will probably end in neighbors asking for your help also. Congrats on a great day!

Man I hope so. That would be great if they spread the word.

Originally Posted By: DAASounds like too much fun!

Originally Posted By: 204 AR

You might be surprised
smile.gif

- DAA

I hope you're right! Going for 8 next time!

Back