6x45

sorry fellas haven't been ignoring yall. just been in the woods. no luck. been seeing them, just no shots. as far as trading 75 grainers for anything else... i don't really think i have any other bullets for the 243... however, if you wish to sell them, or just need to make room for something else, please let me know.

I have had a Dtech 6x45 with a 20" barrel for a number of years. It has accounted for a variety of critters such as coyotes, bobcats, fox, raccoons, skunks and two deer. I shoot 75 gr. Sierra HPs that are wonderfully accurate in my rifle. Those bullets behave more like a hunting bullet at 6x45 velocities rather than a varmint bullet.

Reasons why I like the cartridge - It's easy to load for, works great in an AR-15 platform, fits standard AR-15 magazines, has a large variety of bullets and weights available, and is a pure pleasure to shoot with great accuracy. It isn't too much nor too little for most animals up to deer.

Here is a groundhog target I shot at 175 yards. The top two rounds were for sighting. After I rezeroed, I fired two rounds that are practically touching. Not bad accuracy from an AR-15 at that distance. The groundhog target is an actual outline of a real groundhog I shot one time and traced its body, so this target is a real-life scale.

As mentioned, it works well for a variety of animals. Nothing great or fantastic about the round, but nothing bad either.
It's just a good solid performer with more horsepower than a .223 in that you can shoot heavier bullets as well as
larger diameter bullets.

I am considering a heavy build bolt action 6X45, fast enough twist for 95 Gr TMK. That would be a fun piece!

I love my ARs chambered as such, it is a wonderful round.

Coyotejunki, what kind of speed are you able to achieve with the 58's and what powder are you using in your load. Length of barrel? I'm just getting started on load development for an AR, but the 58 has been a great bullet for me in the 243 bolt actions. Thanks

I have a 6 x 45 AR built with an 18" threaded BHW barrel. Test fired only, it was sweet with the SLR adjustable gas block. Waiting to put it through it's paces when my suppressor (SAS Barricade) is out of jail. Should be this month.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I have a 6 x 45 AR built with an 18" threaded BHW barrel. Test fired only, it was sweet with the SLR adjustable gas block. Waiting to put it through it's paces when my suppressor (SAS Barricade) is out of jail. Should be this month.

I just got back from out west hunting and used my setup, same as yours, but was hoping to get my SAS Baracade out of jail last month, still don't have it yet.

Yep Old Cat, skunk shooting is a nasty job. I have thinned the population on the farm, however. They used to be running everywhere but thanks to the 6x45 and night vision (and another gun or two) the numbers have declined quite a bit. It's just a matter of time though before there's an increase once again. Imagine how many turkey eggs they eat as well. Thank goodness my state allows hunting them 24/7, 365 days a year.

One time I shot a skunk that had the last say by spraying my trail camera. I have learned to "play the wind" and wait for them to turn their butt in a good direction before squeezing the trigger. LOL.

Shot a coyote last weekend at just over 27p yards running straight away with the 85 HPBT hit him in the hipast and came out the bottoms of his chest. Well I assume it was shrapnel that came out and it made a heck of a mess on the hip as it hit bone. I may have to reconsider using the 60gr sierra hp and stick to these.

Well its official, I hate you guys. I just spent some of my hard earned money on a 6x45 18" 1-10 twist barrel from Ritch. The temptations that occur when perusing this site were too much. I also ordered a new upper receiver and handguard. Hopefully I wont be kicking myself in the near future. In all seriousness, thank you to everybody for your thoughts on this caliber. To me it seems to be the closest thing to the "perfect caliber" for coyotes, not too much and not too little with the possibility of dropping a deer with correct shot placement.

Whiskers, the 6x45 is just a good small-caliber round for a variety of uses. I'm sure you will like it.

Keep us posted how it goes and we hope to see some photos and hear some success stories.

Speaking of temptation, I have an upper, a hand guard, a 223 BCG, and a completed lower just hanging out needing a barrel. I'm just getting into reloading and this caliber seems to be what I need. I do have a few questions.

1) will be 223 bolt face work or do I need a new bolt?
2) what's a good barrel length? I'm thinking 18 or 20 so is there enough noticeable difference in the two?
3) how challenging of a round is it to load for a newbie, I will have help available from my dad who has considerable loading experience though

Same bolt
I went 18" threaded- a suppressor will add 6", and it's a carry rifle
super easy to load for- run it through a 6 x 45 die which makes the neck bigger, load and shoot

Originally Posted By: AdamTSpeaking of temptation, I have an upper, a hand guard, a 223 BCG, and a completed lower just hanging out needing a barrel. I'm just getting into reloading and this caliber seems to be what I need. I do have a few questions.

1) will be 223 bolt face work or do I need a new bolt?
2) what's a good barrel length? I'm thinking 18 or 20 so is there enough noticeable difference in the two?
3) how challenging of a round is it to load for a newbie, I will have help available from my dad who has considerable loading experience though

1. No new bolt needed.
2. 20" would be preferable for me. 50-75 FPS more with longer tubes.
3. If you can load a 223 you can load a 6X45. Merely a matter of running them up in a 6X45 die and expanding the necks. Hornady makes a nice set of dies plus you get the good seater. Some Redding 223's bushing dies can be used but not all are big enough for the 6 MM necks.

Greg

I'm sure/hope its everything I want it to be. The 223 is a good coyote round but have found myself wishing more than once that it had a little more knock down power. A 70gr Nosler BT should do the trick, just a little worried about it blowing out the other side and ruining the hide.

Its going to take a while before I find out though, a wait time of 8-10 weeks plus 2 more for cerakote. Now if February could hurry up and get here.

I have high hopes that the 6x45 will give me more coyote knock down power and more distance as well. I just got a barrel from Obsidian Arms who seem to be a decent source. Their barrels are made by Liberty/Satern. Mine is 20", 8-1 twist and ss with a black teflon coat. Nice looking barrel, but I don't have it built to see how well it shoots yet. Still waiting on some other parts. I think you will do well Whiskers with a 6x45. There are all kinds of good information on the loading in the PM reloading & ammo section, with a thread titled 6x45 load data. Good luck with your build.

Good choice I just shot my first deer with mine tonight. The doe was licking her side. (Neck lined up perfectly with the he shoulder) shot her thru the neck, shattered the shoulder blade dead center of the socket and exited behind the off shoulder. She did a little flopping but that was it. The 85 hpbt held together much better than I imagined

Back