Hanger for metal "gong" target...

nr123

Just bought a couple of round metal gong targets and need ideas, pics, or suggestions on a hanger. Ideally, I want it to be portable, and light as possible. The metal targets are for rifle and will be shot at 100 yds+.

Black iron pipe available from Lowe's or Home Depot. You need (4) pieces for the legs, (1) piece for the crossbar, (2) tee's and (2) street elbows. Breaks down and can be put together in no time. Plus, it handles the splatter nicely. It will cost you about $50 but it will last forever.

The target is 1/2" AR500 steel and I've shot it with my AR as close as 50 yards.

Last edited:
Being on a ranch, I drilled holes through a couple old t-posts and ran a rod through them to hang the steel on. Have to drive the t-posts in the ground, but in my situation, that's not inconvenient. Plus, it's free.

fw707's pic is the idea I copied. I used conduit for the end pieces and 1/2" re-bar for the rest. My welding isn't real pretty but has held up so far.

I have no pics, but I use two light metal saw horse legs and a 2x4. I have a few metal gongs hanging from the bottom and on top I drilled some holes and have a few of those cheap orange gongs stuck into the top. I also made it so I can mount a paper target frame on top for sighting in or some friendly bullseye shooting with friends. Its was cheap to make, but does the job and transports easily.

Here Kitty Kitty

There's several commercialy produced Tpost hangers designed to hang your steel plates on a Tpost. Very portable. Use a pre-existing fence post, or pound your own Tpost at your shooting spot and leave it there.

Can't seem to find pics right now, but I used these brackets from http://www.laststands.com/
Just buy rebar (cheap) and you're good to go. I use old firehose as plate hangers, but I see on their site they sell plate hangers now too which look like they would work well also.

I've splattered the crap out of mine, and other than having to be careful when handling them not to inflict cuts from the shrapnel they show no real signs of damage. Very easy to break down for travel.

wily

I use old roof bolter augers from back in my mining days, but any 1/2" or so pipe would work. I set this range up years ago, just drove the augers in the ground, this is on public land and nobody has bothered them yet although it is off the beaten path a ways. Easy way to take your plates with you.

Back