My son got his first coyote

dustinyotes

Our plan for Thanksgiving today was to go to my wife's parents house, the weather man said that we were going to have some high winds today but when we woke up it was a calm beautiful day. Just as it was getting light outside my wife said "you should take Kayleb (our 15 year old son) coyote hunting". I know what you are thinking and yes my wife is that awesome. ;-) We quickly got ready, loaded the car and over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house we went. After we dropped of my wife and other kids we headed for coyote country. Our first stand was a blank but we did see some coyote tracks in the little bit of snow that we got yesterday so we new there were coyotes in the area. This is our next stand.

From where we were sitting I could see some coyote tracks in a game trail heading to our left and over a small sand hill. I figured that if the coyote was still in the area it would follow the same trail back so I kept an eye in that direction and turned on the call. After several minutes of jack rabbit distress I muted the call for a few minutes and then turned on a cotton tail distress sound. A few minutes later I spotted a coyote coming down the game trail about 150 yards out to our left. I figured if the coyote would follow the trail it would pop out on a the small sand hill about 75 yards in front of us so I told Kayleb to get his scope on the hill and shoot as soon as he could see the coyote. Sure enough the coyote walked out on the hill and stopped for perfect shot. This is the hill it was on.

Kayleb made a perfect shot and put the coyote down with a 55 grain NBT out of his 243. I will usually keep calling for several minutes after I shoot a coyote but I couldn't keep Kayleb's excitement from exploding out and he yelled "DAD I SMOKED HIM". We headed over to the coyote so he could get his hands on it.

He was a very happy boy.

We hauled the coyote back to the pickup and off we went to Thanksgiving dinner. We just finished skinning the coyote tonight and got it on the stretcher so he can hang the hide in his bedroom to always remember this day. It is days like this that will be remembered for ever.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Awesome, a thanks worthty day in deed! The turkey is never done on time any way. Good for you!

Last edited:
Dustin, WTG. Nothing better than being out with your kid! Kayleb....great job putting some fur down. Hopefully, first of many! Regards, Drop

Last edited:
Way to go, Kayleb and all concerned. Great pictures of beautiful country, nice coyotes, and a great look of enthusiasm on a young hunter's face. Thanks for posting.

Congrats to you and Kayleb!
The thrill he felt, is obvious from that big ol' smile!
Trust me, that is a Thanksgiving morning, he won't forget.

{Although we were hunting coyotes a different way, back then, I have some nice memories of hunting with my Dad on Thanksgiving mornings. In fact, we reminisced about a couple yesterday, while we were waiting for lunch to be ready.}

Thanks for all of the kind comments, I think I have created a monster. I took Kayleb elk hunting today and he kept begging to go coyote hunting instead. All day he would say "Dad, that would be a good place to call coyotes ". And tonight he is asking for coyote hunting gear for Christmas.

Back