204. Ruger vs 20 vartarg

Matt_3479

In a little bit of dilemma here gentleman. I currently own a Remington 700 vssf-II in 204. Ruger that I got at a pretty good price. I also own a semi custom 20 tactical on a Remington 700 action. My favourite gun store (I'm an ex-employee) currently has a cooper 51 Phoenix in 20 vartarg with redding competition dies for sale. Now at the moment I can't afford to purchase the rifle out right and own all three. But would you sell the Remington 700 vssf-II (mint condition) for the cooper in 20 vartarg?

I don't know much about the vartarg. I know it's a little slower but still own the 20 tac. The 204 shoots good but I know the cooper will shoot better. I have redding died for my 20 tac but only Hornady for my 204. Selling the Remington vssf-II I would probably wash buying the cooper as I still get discounts due to helping on big sales and weekends.

I think you answered your own question. Cooper vs Remington. Cooper every time if everything else is the same. I have no need for a single shot rifle personally, if it's the M51 I would definitely let them trade places.

I own both, and take them to shoot Prairie Dogs. Both are super fun to shoot, but the 204 reaches out much further and is more devestating then the 20VT. Cooper Rifles are super nice!

JMHO!

How do you "know" that the Cooper will shoot better? I agree it should, but it's hard to guarantee.

Here's a little wisdom for you as well: "Never buy a used gun in a prairie dog caliber."
They can be shot completely out in an afternoon in the wrong hands. Not worth the risk.

If you know the owner, ask a lot of questions. Perhaps there's a way around the "never" part.

Just something to think about, good luck.

The only way that Cooper is shooting worse than your vssf is if the barrel is toast. If you use the VT within it's intended range you will have a good time with it.

I've got two Cooper 204's and a Cooper 20 VT that I use on prairie dogs. The 20 VT is a solid 400 yd gun, and I've shot some very good groups out to 500 after cranking some scope dials. The 204's will reach 500+ yds easy, but in reality, wind conditions usually limit my distance.
The 20 VT will shoot much longer without cleaning, heats up less, and gets almost 204 velocity with much less powder. I've re-barreled both 204's, and the next barrel to go will probably be changed to a 20 VT.
Go for the Cooper!!

Hope you had Cooper rebarrel those if you are the original owner they will rebarrel it for $125 I checked for my dad before he headed West to go shoot PD this spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bryan hHope you had Cooper rebarrel those if you are the original owner they will rebarrel it for $125 I checked for my dad before he headed West to go shoot PD this spring.

Sorry I don't know if I'm reading it wrong but I don't understand this post

Sorry the last poster said he had 2 Cooper 204's he had the barrel's change so I was just saying that Cooper will put new barrel's on their guns for a total of $125.

Sorry thank you for clarifying. Yah I couldn't afford brand new cooper st the time so used is basically the only possible option as I recently built a full custom 260. Rem and collecting parts for a full custom 300. Win mag.

Once I got into the 20 tac I must of read a 100 different posts on 3 different websites about a 20vt and since then it has caught my attention thoroughly. And I'd love to try one but to build one or buy a new cooper is out of the question as the need isn't there. But this opportunity has fallen into my lap for a used (in original box, tap still sticky (like new) cooper, with redding type s bushing dies, brass and billets for 1/3 of the price of a new cooper. Hard not to consider it

Last edited:
Back