DPMS 300 Saum, sell it or keep it?

204 AR

I've been torn for weeks or longer, thinking of selling my 300 short mag. These are so rare, but I just don't shoot it much, just because I don't really hunt big game and it isn't threaded for a suppressor. It's not pristine, having some scratches when I got it. But it is very accurate and reliable with the right mags.

I'd like the money for other projects, but just can't make myself get rid of something I'll never find again! What do you think?

I strongly strongly strongly suggest keeping it. Not only is the 300 SAUM rare, but it's an amazing cartridge. Lately the 30 cal bullets have been improving dramaticly, and even if you don't hunt big game NOW, eventually you might, or have family members who would like to. Norma still has brass readily available for this cartridge as well.

If you do decide to sell, PM me, and I might be willing to sell it back to you down the road when you are kicking yourself in the butt for parting with it.

It's a very simple and cheap upgrade to have a smith thread your barrel, don't let that make or break your decision.

Probably good advice and the same things I've been telling myself. I've even considered having the barrel re-contoured from it's fluted bull profile to something thinner. I had a local guy who threaded quite a few for me, did a great job and was reasonable. But after Obozo's executive order in July it wouldn't be legal for him to do anymore. Hopefully that gets reversed in January. Actually I have about 150 pcs of Remington brass, 50 new and 100 loaded. It holds up well, getting 10 loads per piece iirc.

Keep it for sure, Think about the options you would have if you rebarreld it to another caliber. 6.5 SAUM, 7 SAUM. Just to name a few. Doesn't take much to swap out barrels.

Just a thought to keep it alive.. so you don't have to get rid of it.

Jason

I'm really surprised someone doesn't make bolts. That's really all that's different, besides the ejection port needing opened up and extractor modified.

I would keep it. I have a 700 in 300saum and I won't ever get rid of it. Nosler is still making brass at the moment, unlikely for remington to make any anytime soon though. I loaded up while I could!

I say sell it and use the cash for your other project. It does have its cool factor but it's darn expensive to shoot if your not reloading, $50+ for 20rds

Back