Hearing protection act

Originally Posted By: TrapShooter12

The problem will be all those garage door suppressor makers will flood the market with a shoddy product.

You kind of have that now to an extent, without mentioning any names... You have a select group of Manufacturers now, that make a great product.

A good product will speak for itself, people will find it, and they will pay for it. Most of the "high end" suppressor manufacturers will maintain their customer base regardless.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: TrapShooter12

The problem will be all those garage door suppressor makers will flood the market with a shoddy product.

You kind of have that now to an extent, without mentioning any names... You have a select group of Manufacturers now, that make a great product.

A good product will speak for itself, people will find it, and they will pay for it. Most of the "high end" suppressor manufacturers will maintain their customer base regardless.

I totally agree with that statement, there's no reason to build a sub-par product if you can purchase a superior product without the wait time even if you have to pay the tax... and I'm SURE that will never change. It would be nice just not to have to WAIT our life's away...

Originally Posted By: PaccarSo realistically speaking what is the % of chance we will be able to buy over the counter within a year?

Within a year, I'd say zero chance, but I would be thrilled to be proven wrong!!!

My feeling is that if it is going to happen it will be quick. The longer it goes the less likely it happens imo.

the bill has a bunch of cosponsors & is ready to go. it's been sitting there ins 2015 & the reason is that obama has been expected to veto it if he gets it.

there's no reason to think that trump won't sign it.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: TrapShooter12

Completely agree, as my signature say's, life is too short to shoot crap cans. I will buy good cans no matter the price. It is worth it.

The thing is even if the crap cans do take off I would rather a younger guy that can't afford a good can have something vs nothing. Those of us that want good cans will spend the $$.

Another thing to think about if they are able to sell more even higher priced cans it will bring the price of those down as well. How many man hours do they spend on each can just in paperwork?? time is money.

HPA + Trump in office, great news for most of the US. Too bad it will be irrelevant for those of us stuck in Cali or NY, it'll never see the light of day here. I know my neighbors would appreciate me and a few others in the area shooting suppressed rifles.

Originally Posted By: Paccar How many man hours do they spend on each can just in paperwork?? time is money.

I've heard of dealers charging 50.00 - 200.00 for the suppressor transfer and form 4... I can knock out a 4 in about the time it takes to fill out a 4473 and call in NICS... So that's not gonna drop the price as much as you think. Dealers that make that much money just for PW transfers because the can their customer wants isn't in their inventory, sure as [beeep] are gonna make their money on ya, Form 4 or 4473.

if the bill is introduced in the first session, you should be able to by suppressors over the counter by July.

As far as shoddy cans is concerned. The rules of Capitalism apply. They will not effect the sales of quality suppressors. If anything they will help them. People who by cheap products do so because it is what they can afford. If the cheap product was not available, they would not save up for the expensive one, they would simply go without. Cheap products also expand the market. The more customers, the more interest in the product, making more consumers, many who choose quality. And if the current producers are charging unnecessarily high prices, more competition will cause them to adapt. Either by lowering their price, increasing the efficiency of manufacturing, or providing a better mousetrap. Isn't America great?

And, BTW, paying high prices due to brand loyalty or cause you want to "Buy American" gets the quality of American cars of the late 70's. Companies must earn my dollar. Its my duty, it ensures quality. You're welcome.

Mike

Last edited:
Competition is bound to lower prices but there will always be varying degrees of quality. There's a demand for high quality and low quality in just about everything.

What worries me most is the pathetic "leadership" in the GOP. With Ryan and McConnell staying in those roles the chance of this advancing might be in jeopardy

Originally Posted By: Redleg84
What worries me most is the pathetic "leadership" in the GOP. With Ryan and McConnell staying in those roles the chance of this advancing might be in jeopardy

I think with whats going on in the political arena, it wouldn't take much to get a few thousand people to call his office or email, and he would get the idea.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84Competition is bound to lower prices but there will always be varying degrees of quality. There's a demand for high quality and low quality in just about everything.

Quality gun smiths with CNC machines and no requirement for the layers and levels of documentation,(overhead) will cause the prices to drop. It's drop, or not sell any.. If Gemtec is charging $800 vs. someone with one that is built the same will not sell very many.

AR15s is the same thing. How many of you are buying $2000 ARs?
How many are buying $700-1000

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZQuality gun smiths with CNC machines and no requirement for the layers and levels of documentation,(overhead) will cause the prices to drop. It's drop, or not sell any.. If Gemtec is charging $800 vs. someone with one that is built the same will not sell very many.

AR15s is the same thing. How many of you are buying $2000 ARs?
How many are buying $700-1000

Just ordered another Armalite Super SASS. Not to mention Gem-tech has been operating for over 23 years and has not only put in the R&D, but the T&E, their machinery, tech, and company has been geared strictly towards suppressors and making them better. The same goes for most other suppressor manufacturers who have been around for decades. The people who shoot them know, and trust in the dedication and work that has been put in quality cans.

Sure some "gunsmiths" with cnc's will come along and make a can that "competes" with a 1000.00 can, and many will buy them, but to say they have to drop their price or not sell any, I think is inaccurate... Their customer base knows and respects what they have done over the years, and will continue their support and purchases of quality products, as will others who are engaged with other high end reputable manufactures.

Same principle goes for gunsmiths, I know a few guys who use ONE smith, and wouldn't change that for the world, even if some new guy purchases a "cnc" and can undercut them by 1/2 the cost and make a very similar product.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI would be hard pressed to give up purchasing from the companies products I've seen and own reguardless of price.

I'd agree with the above 100%. Don't get me wrong, I like a discounted price as well as the next guy but when it comes to things like this, I'll step up and spend the extra to get a top notch quality product that I know performs like I want it to.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: 1badsheeI would be hard pressed to give up purchasing from the companies products I've seen and own reguardless of price.

I'd agree with the above 100%. Don't get me wrong, I like a discounted price as well as the next guy but when it comes to things like this, I'll step up and spend the extra to get a top notch quality product that I know performs like I want it to.

i suspect many folks will actually end up with some of both.

just like anything firearm related, we're willing to spend for nice stuff on the items that we either utilize the most, or care about the most.

however if you had, lets say, an old beater single shot (or bolt, or whatever) laying around, and could pick up a can for it for $50 - you know... just because - that many of us would do so, just to suppress that firearm. no point in spending $60-$125 to thread a $75 gun and then stuff a $800 can on the end, just so your kids can plink with it.

but if you're gonna suppress that $2000+ precision bolt gun setup, by all means, go for that $800+ premium can.

i guess i'm just suggesting that there will be a place for both ends of the market, and while some price adjusting might happen on the upper end, i think that just like optics, we'll see a wide range of price points popup for every budget and intended target market.

[edit] and just like the optics market, i also feel that the folks who are already in the game and have done the R&D will expand their product lines to encompass/embrace those lower price point markets. Why not - they already have the means and the ability, all they need to do is use cheaper materials. most of the higher end scope company's have varience in their price points and product lines based on the required features and characteristics of their products. Weather that be related to lets say, lense quality, the precision of the internal's, or even the weight of the materials used in construction....

lets just look at leupold for example - you can buy a $250 leupold, or you can buy a $4500 leupold.

im guessing it'd be a safe play to bet ahouse payment (or more) that Gemtech, Silencerco and all the other big players out there already have a plan in place to widen the offerings they have and expand into all the various price points if/when the HPA passes. And still be competitive against Joe Garage and his CNC machine and one man operation, because all they have to do is adjust tooling and materials to do so. The rest of the infrastructure is already in place - including the wholesale/retail sales chains.

Last edited:
Back