Remington 721 in 30-06

Originally Posted By: RonaldAnyone know where I might find an extractor for an old 721?

That could be a hard one for you to find and good luck with your search.

You could always have a pinned M16 type extractor put in it.

Google 721 extractor, some have been able to fit 700 extractors. I had a Sako extractor installed in my 722, my 721 is still working fine. you might want to pull yours and make sure there is no gunk or pieces of rim interfering.

You would think that someone would have made a replacement by now. You might want to check with Gun Parts and Weidners.

This might help.

Posted: August 28, 2007 10:53 PMFlag633784 Refer to Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks #4 p.342...new Rem 7400/7600 extractors are similar...by thinning out the 7400/7600 extractoe to fit the recess in the bolt head and adjusting its tension you will have a working rifle...this kink worked for me and a happy customer put his 721/222 back in the field. no modifications just alittle grinding on an inexpensive part...hope this helps

Last edited:
I have a friend that is a gunsmith. He has tons of parts in his garage. If anyone has one, he should. I'll call him tomorrow and see if he has one. No guarantees but I'll check.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I bought this old 721 and the extractor works well with old Lake City military type brass because the rim is .050 thick. My Remington and Nosler brass doesn't extract so well. The Rem andNosler brass rims measure .045. I have a dozen model 700's and would like to keep this old 721 original. If I can find an extractor for it I will leave in original. If not I will probably buy a 700 bolt and trigger and drop it into an old 700 stock that I have that came off a 700 I had built into a custom. Pyscodog, if your friend has a standard boltface 721 extractor I would gladly buy it from him!! Thank you for checking.

AWS, I read that post and just happen to have two 7400/7600 extractors on their way now. Thank you! Just trying to keep this old gun going without changing it too much if I can.

Back