R15 Problem redeax, update

MCary

Ok, so I tried everything to fix my new Remington R15, checked out the rifle, tried different loads, tried different optics. When I said it was spraying rounds and shot like a musket, you may have thought, "maybe he is just a bad shot, what's the big deal about a little bigger group" Well let me show you. This is ten shots at 50 yards. Yes, I know, there are only 8 holes.

I replace the barrel with a 1:8 twist, 24". This is what that looked like. Each number shows shots before a change in the scope. I was firing plinking rounds 55 grain Winchester fmj pills that I had a bunch of. 27.5 grains of BLC(2). 100 yards.

This is a group shooting Match grade 69gr BTHP at 100 yards, cci 400 primers and 27.0 grains of BLC(2).

Okay then, I think I fixed the problem. Now maybe I can actually zero the thing.

Wow, glad you got it sorted! Crazy that the factory barrel was that off. Wonder what the issue was? Rifling, crown, or something else?

The crown looked good. We ran a bore scope down it. It was pitted and looked rough. Obviously the rifling was not gripping and spinning the bullets properly and the rounds were coming out unstable. What a mess. I could have sent the rifle back to be repaired but I would have not had it for 4-6 weeks. I bought this barrel on Midway's website for only $139 and put it on myself. Added an adjustable gas block. Added some expense to the original purchase but I believe was a significant upgrade.

You're right about it being an up-grade, but I was wanting to see what Remington had to say about it. What their excuse was if you will.

Wow, Your right!! That was a foul shooting barrel!! What has Remington said? They should help you.
I have a R-15 one of the first 2008 18" pencil barrel and it is my coyote killer, it has and still gets 1/2" groups at 100 with my hand loads..
I would send that barrel back to Remington with the bill for the new one.. that sucks, they also proof shoot them I believe, how did that get through? I built my next one myself...

Last edited:
I have read some mixed reviews about the Midway AR Stoner barrels. I couldn't be happier with both of mine. 223 wylde 18" and 6x45 20" shoot lights out. Looks like you made the right decision. Good luck with it.

Back