First 3 of the year

gonzaga

Took the new pup out this morning to see if we could find any action.
First couple of stands were blanks, then I went to one of my favorite spots that I've been seeing a lot of coyotes. Walked up the hill so that I could get a good look across the pasture and sure enough I see one coyote, another one, another one, another one and another one and another one.....6 all together.... Well then I start trying to figure in my game plan....
Cut the distance in half, set up on a little Hill where I can still have a good view if they come in and keep an eye on my downwind side.
So I lay down and start calling, nothing, they're too far...the pup is just running around sniffing air...
So I throw out some pup whines and I see a coyote headed my way, he's still 800 yds out though. I keep up the pup distress periodically as he keeps coming towards me. He hits the road and stops, and sits down...ugh...still 600 out....I call the pup and as soon as the coyote sees him he starts trotting my way. Pup still hasn't seen him, but the coyote is locked in on him. He closes the distance to 300, and sits down again, I pull up the 22-250 center the cross hairs on his chest and squeeze the trigger, pffft....clean miss, but the rifle is suppressed so he just moves about 5 ft to his right and is just standing there looking around for what that sound was.....I held for the wind this time and dropped him. Ozzy bolts looking around after the shot, he can't see the downed coyote. I pull up the 8x slc binos and the other coyotes are oblivious....so I head down to gather him up. So when we get there, Ozzy winds the coyote and runs over and proceeds to work him over....I get the drag out and drag him over 200 yards to the fence. We cross under the fence looking for another one. Found him, he's still mousing about 750 yds away....sneak is on....we close the distance to half, but the coyote is moving to the East now...following the other coyotes....we wait till I can't see him so he can't see us cross over the road, we make it to the fence line and I pull up the binos and there he is, in the rocks just sitting down...so I pull out the little orange Tebbe call again and start Pup distressing again, here he comes on a rope....Pup is running around but doesn't see him yet, a few minutes later and I see a head pop up, I call Ozzy over to me, coyote number 2 sees the Pup and starts to creep in, he made it to 225 yards where I dropped him where he stood. So the Pup and I go to gather this one up, using the terrain and keeping the wind in our favor. Get to the coyote and Ozzy is working him over by now pretty good....I love him up and tell him "good boy", it's about that time when I pull up the binos and see 2 more coyotes working away from us towards the road. Ugh, missed em....so as I was throwing more Pup distress I catch movement between me and those other coyotes way out there...I'm like "NO WAY!!!", so I Pup whine a few more and he walks up on the dry lake bank, 445 yards away....Ozzy is still wooing up that coyote pretty good as I Puppy whine...coyote lays down....dang....so I start with some rabbit distress, he stinks off to the dry lake....so I figure he is gonna come straight in...nope, he tryst to get my wind on the right, so as soon as he popped his head up on the little pond bank he sees Ozzy chewing on that other Coyote that I'm laying right next to. He gets to the top and sits down, pffft, coyote 3 down boys. Looked around for any other ones but I couldn't find anymore.....

Rifle is a Remington 700, with a 3.5x10x40 second generation mil dot, and a Silencertech suppressor.
Load is a 50 gr VMAX, pushed by 38 grains of H380. I just loaded these up last night on the recommendation of a friend of mine. I don't have any Chronograph data as of yet.
The puppy is the one that I got from Ryan Arrington trapper2. He's not a year old yet, but he is coming along quit nicely.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Good story.. sounds like a good time. I got a new ranch to hunt that seems to be loaded with coyotes, Might have to put the lion hounds up for a while call some coyotes
smile.gif

Gonzaga, no hunting at all for me. My wife got hurt over a month ago, and I have had to take care of her. Hopefully, she will mend enough by December for me to get out some.

Looks like you have it going on pretty well. I really like your dogs.

Thanks Jeff, hope y'all are doing good. We have finally gotten some cold weather and the furs are looking good now.
Keep in touch buddy.

Yeah, he doesn't miss any meals that's for sure....lol...alot like me...
I took him out yesterday morning and he went to engage the incoming trio, but the wind switched in their favor and they were gone. He saw them from about 400 yds out. He's getting a lot better....
Thanks Bryan, I can't wait to see Yukon in action...give me a holler if y'all make it down this way.

Back