what a hunt!

reaper4

As anyone who has read any of my posts know, I'm not one for well written write ups here. I usually can't even get a sentence written on this phone without exessive autocorrect problems or getting a case of the fat finger on this phones keyboard so I will keep it short.

This was my best night of fox calling and although we shot 3 more that were not recovered, I am blessed to be able to have been a part of another really amazing night here in MD chasing our red fox.

We shot a grey about 1 minute into a close quarters stand that got dumped with the 12GA. and a load of #4buck only to have him run off when we got about 5 feet from picking him up after continuing on the set for 20 minutes and squeezing another red fox out of it.

We also had 2 scenarios in one night of walking up to pick up a fox shot with the wmr that got up and started to run. Luckily, after what would make any anti hunters head explode, we got those two on the rack.(just imagine three grown men trying to tackle a red fox then squealing like girls when it spins it's little jaws around on them) unfortunately Dave did not bring the camera out for that recovery and we didn't get that on film. But it was a fight to the death.

I am also pleased to report that the blue dot reduced load shot 8 of these and only had one with visible damage and that was just a bad (low) shot. All others drt with no exit and couldn't see the entrance until they sat on the rack and bled a little.

All in all it was a night I won't soon forget and I was lucky enough to spend it with two of my best friends. We managed to get back to the barn to skin 15 red fox by 7:30am. Thanks for reading guys!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Great job. That's a pile of red fox for sure. Apparently you have a lot of them up your way.

They do have a lot of fox but more importantly they are excellent hunters. They do their scouting months in advance. Always try to use the wind to their advantage. Use their lights appropriately and quietly approach each and every set.

It shows with their consistency.

WTG guys!! Keep it up
thumbup.gif

Thanks guys! We do have a pile of red fox here and we do hunt hard for them. Never had a night like that. If we can shoot between 7-10 that's usually a great all nighter. I guess the stars just aligned

That sure is a big load of fur! Congrats to you guys! I'm sitting here laughing because I can just imagine the three of you chasing those fox down and watching it turn on you. LOL I think that one time or another we've all been there, even if it was with a different animal. Whoever "squealed" will most certainly never live that one down. You guys will be laughing years from now while drinking beer and telling that story.

Could you tell me a little more about the rifle that you use your Blue Dot reduced loads in and what load, bullet, etc.. that you're using?

I have a Howa 22-250 that I worked up some Blue Dot reduced loads for to hunt fox and bobcat hoping that they will not have much pelt damage. I found my node at 13.5gr of Blue Dot where I shot a sub 1/4" group at 100 yards. For some reason I can't remember off the top of my head which bullet I placed in it. I'd have to look at my notes but I think that it was a Speer 60gr SP.

Chad

It was a crazy night. None of us knew what to do after it turned on us. We left the camera and our guns back where we were sitting. I'll admit I may have squealed just a bit a moment before I sent a fox flying through the air with a boot to his chest.

And the gun is a browning xbolt varmint special 1/12 twist 223. I load winchester cases with 11.4 grains of blue dot behind a 40 grain nosler varmageddon hp lit with a cci br4 primer. Would love to give you a velocity but have not chronographed this load. I'm guessing it's around 2800 ish. It did a great job and now I guess I'll play with some 50 grain bullets and see if I can get more energy without more pelt damage but for now. This little 150 yard fox load is working wonders for me. Sounds about like a 22wmr too! I was hoping to have my tax stamp back for my suppressor by now to see what it sounds like through that but I guess I'll be waiting a few more months

Last edited:
LOL Again, I'm laughing because I can picture it.

I went with the 60gr because it was a bigger bullet which allowed me to set it at 0.005" off of the lands. My 22-250 is also a 1/12 twist. I shoot Win cases and Win primers.

I've been thinking about a suppressor for a year or two now, but now I'm glad that I've waited. They're talking about the possibility of Trump taking suppressors off of the NFA. Again, just a rumor but if they do then it's game on. But watch, prices will skyrocket when and if they do. I haven't chrono'd my loads yet either, even though I have a chrono. I guess I just got lazy after getting the amazing groups.

Thebig1, yeah I have been thinking about it for a while now and finally but the bullet in march and ordered one when I heard about mile high shootings prices on the one I wanted. Form three was done in June and my check was cashed July 6th....I have a long season of waiting on my hands. I don't own a chrono but plan on getting one soon. I can't believe it took me this long to load reduced loads. They are good for so many things.

Bhw, thank you sir! Hopefully this weekend the weather holds out and I can get the same results

Back