22-250 Fur Friendly Round

catbegone

Got 2 coyotes today using the 22-250 with 55 gr. nosler varmageddon bullets and no exit and dead when the bullets hit them.
First Coyote was a big male

2nd was a mangey one

The good one skinned

That looks like a good combo for fur.
A 22/250 can be challenging for a fur round to say the least.
I use a 52 gr Berger with the same result.

Blitzking and Nosler 50's have been favorites of mine when the appropriate shot angles are presented.
A close shot or bad angle can change the result quick.
Hard to cover every facet with a bullet.
PSP's do a good overall job and certainly on real close shots.

Is that the tipped bullet or hp? What distance do you start to see exits? I usually do not see exits till past 215-220 yards with the 55 gr Nosler bt,I like head shots on sleepers inside 200.

I like and use the 55gr V-max and 55gr Blitzking...but never thought a 22-250 to be much of a "fur friendly" round. Just my .01....Regards, Drop

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvI like and use the 55gr V-max and 55gr Blitzking... Drop

thats why
cool.gif

The 6mm 55g varmageddon at 3590 fps will decimate a coyote at 40 feet as I found out yesterday.
He was a very heavy furred coyote that just would not stop flying into the call when barking at it, crud I though it was going to nip me!
I was bummed at the damage since the under belly was completely missing, but being so close it was unavoidable...unless I let it got & that aint going to happen.

I have had great luck with the Sierra 55 gr. Gameking on top of Varget... very accurate in my Tikka 22-250 and had 17 coyotes in a row with no damage at all. It's not a "fancy" bullet, but it does an awesome job on coyotes in my experience. The fur buyer didn't believe me when I said I shot them with the '250.

Quote:The 6mm 55g varmageddon at 3590 fps will decimate a coyote at 40 feet as I found out yesterday.

Funny! I use the same in the ballistic tip at 4200 fps out of my 6mm rem and man your right "decimate"!

It's all how you hit them. Standing straight on (my favorite) drops them straight down and usually only leaves an entrance. Most of the broadside shots leave an exit.

Hornady spire point if you're looking for factory ammo. It's slower but I haven't shot a cat or fox with it but it definitely does less damage to coyotes.

Originally Posted By: wjh131I've found the 50 grain vmax hornady varmint express factory load to be not too too bad.
how many coyotes have you shot with this round??

Originally Posted By: jetman That looks like a good combo for fur.
A 22/250 can be challenging for a fur round to say the least.
I use a 52 gr Berger with the same result.

+1 I love this bullet for coyotes!

Back