.30-06 Coyote Round

Deer hunting last month, a coyote showed up at about 10 yards away, by the time I had shouldered the 30-06 he ran away. Three minutes later the dummy showed up again at 20 yards out, couldn't resist, broadside shot back a little in the ribs, took out both lungs, 30 cal in 35 cal out with Remington 150 core-lokt. Moral - you can't fix stupid.....

I have shot lots of coyotes with a 30/06. Hunting bullets and FMJ's. Kills them period. You are not really interested in fur if you use one on coyotes.
My choice is a smaller lighter bullets for safety of others as I hunt some populated areas farms with cattle and horses and I want the bullet to have little energy if I hit one or if I miss,..no richochets. I think you will shoot more often with a smaller caliber and be a better shot also.

Chad1754, I live a little less than a half hour east of Great Falls. Didn't kill the buck around here though, was MUCH further east.

when i was young I shot a rabbit with a 32 right though the heart and was able to eat the heart - bullet passed right through him.

A few years back I shot a bobcat with a 30-06 and the bullet exit did some damage but the Taxidermist did an awesome job with little tell, and that side of the mount is against the wall anyway

I guess if you hit bone your are probably screwed if you think you will keep the pelt. If you go right for heart and lungs you probably will do less damage

I am using my fathers 30-06 as a coyote hunting gun since he passed. keeps him with me on my hunts and makes it kind of special. I can always opt for a lower grain bullet if i want to save a pelt, but I am more interested in getting rid of the menace for now. if i kill a nice one and i can save it it may be a plus.

smile.gif

Drop,
Probably so...
smile.gif

bacci,
Welcome to Predator Masters. I understand about using your dads gun. I have a gun from my grandpa and a few from dad that go to the woods once in awhile for the same reason. My dad is still with us but no longer able to go hunting and I miss him being there. Last Saturday was Missouri's firearms deer season opener and though my son and wife were with me I found myself thinking of dad occasionally throughout the day.

Back