6.5 Creedmoor & Pulsar Thermal Results

Zen Archery

1477670578762_zps5o7uurcq.jpeg

Large sounder continues to evade me! They have been very inconsistent. When they come in they stay for almost hour and the longest 4.5 hours.

Coyotes were howling early and close but none came in until the late hours (or early depending on your interpretation).

The Hornady 143gr ELDX have been devistating to hogs but on soft skinned animals like coyotes I do not believe bullet is expanding properly. I had to take secondary shot on 2 coyotes for proper dispatch.

Enjoy the video! Gonna load some Berger 140gr Hunt VLD's.
Click here to watch video.

Last edited:
Good Job! It looks like you spent most of the night waiting on them. Did you continually scan with your thermal scope? Or did you use a hand held scanner? Do you find it a struggle to keep you head on the gun (neck get sore)? After a few hours?
I ask because I am considering going to thermal rifle scope but can't really afford to buy a scanner AND a scope.

Nice work Ed! I like to see people putting the time in on long nights! I kinda LOLed on your 3rd yote.. I said " Ohh Texas Heart Shot" and boom... there the caption was. Nice work!

Edit: What saddle are you using??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TyrodGood Job! It looks like you spent most of the night waiting on them. Did you continually scan with your thermal scope? Or did you use a hand held scanner? Do you find it a struggle to keep you head on the gun (neck get sore)? After a few hours?
I ask because I am considering going to thermal rifle scope but can't really afford to buy a scanner AND a scope.

I've got extended battery pack. Has lasted all night huts so far and still juiced up.
I leave the thermal on all night long. It has a "display off" mode. About every 15 minutes I will scan around for heat signatures. Depending on the distance I will either shoot from location or work my way towards them.
This thermal has about a 6-10 second boot up mode. Which for coyotes is not optional. Hogs are a little more tame. But yotes are always on the go.
I also have an old school digital monocular that is good out to about 350-400 yards in open field with my IR extended light (much less on dark nights and can't see through brush). But I don't like the IR Light signature so I will scan quickly. If I think I see something I will turn to my Thermal.

Back