Looking for some scope opinions

mpitmann

Hello all-

I recently found a deal on a like new Bushmaster Predator that I couldn't pass up. Now I'm in the debacle of finding optics in my budget and what would work for me. My AR's I currently have are...

Bench Gun: Stag Super Varminter 24" Heavy Barrel (Nikon Monarch 8-32)
Short(er) Range: Spikes/Seekins 16" (Vortex Sparc II w/ Flip to the side 3x Magnifier)
Fun gun: Spikes/RRA 10.5" Pistol (Vortex Sparc II)

I'm foreseeing this Bushmaster being a prairie dog gun, possibly coyotes, between 100-350 yards? Pretty much anytime I don't feel like lugging around the bench gun (Stag) or just shooting for the heck of it at the range. I haven't been in the market for a scope for a few years now.. so I'd like to get a refresher on some of the decent options out there.. I'm thinking a minimum of 9 power (maybe preferably 12).. and price range $450 and under.

A few I'm considering..

Nikon Prostaff 5, 4.5-18x40
NIkon M-223, 4-16x42
Burris Fullfield II, 4.5-14x42

It seems as if Vortex scopes have been taking off like crazy lately so I'd be interested to hear some more about those.. as well as maybe an Leupold's that might fall in that range? Definitely open to options!

Thanks in advance

***Totally forgot about the optics subforum. If better suited to be there this topic can be moved***

Last edited:
I have a barely used Leupold Mark AR in 3-9 that I'm probably going to be selling here in about two weeks. I really like the scope, but I find myself often fox hunting where I'm taking 200-300yard shots, sometimes even further, so I'm stepping up to a Vortex Viper PST 6-24. I love the leupold though and think it's a great scope. From just poking around some, hearing and reading testimonies, it seems like Vortex is taking off like you said and is leading the industry with their warranty which really appeals to me.

Anyways, let me know if you'd be interested in the leupold and I can PM you pics/price/etc.

Have several Burris in 2-7X and 3-9X 50mm, and they clear & hold zero.
One Nikon Prostaf with the circles.
Prefer Burris BDC hashe lines vs Nikon circles.
Just got a Vortex 3-12X 56mm V-brite and really like its clarity & brightness.
Among those you listed, the Burris Fullfield II, 4.5-14x42 gets my vote.

Have 2 Burris Fullfield II, 4.5-14x42 a couple of 3x9 FFIIs. I like the 14X for predators when I can't get 'em in close. The 3x9's work, but are better big game scopes IMO. Recently picked up a couple of Burris w/the E1 reticle you should look at before making your choice.

Regards,
hm

I have some Burris full field ll and Leupold Mark AR's in 3x9 4x12 and 6x18 and I prefer the Leupold over the Burris.
My full field 2 are even the ones when they were still made in USA not the new ones made in China.

I think I've opened my budget and have narrowed it down to a leupold mark AR 6-18, vortex viper Hs-t, or burris fullfield 2 in 6.5-20. Just trying to decide which one to go with now.. Not sure if I'll use turrets or not to justify the more expensive options

Last edited:
I've been shooting with a Nikon P-308, as the name says it is for the .308 platform. Mine is on my latest long range project. I really like it. You might try to get a good look at one for the .223. The BDC in mine is set up for the Sierra 168 gr HPBT and it is pretty [beeep] close.

Well I kind of has an impulse buy today.. Figured I'd browse Cabelas website..I never shop there usually but had $70 cabelas points left that I need to spend somehow. I ran across this deal.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/BURRIS-MTAC-X-X/1911875.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dburris%2Bmtac%2B%26CQ_st%3Db

For $250, under $200 with my points, it was too good to pass up. I read multiple reviews and people really seem to like them. A little less power than I was looking for but can't go wrong with the price. The cheapest I've found elsewhere for the same scope was $375, but most places still list them for $400+. Burris no longer lists the Mtac in this power on their site so I'm assuming it's a discontinued model but it was around long enough and got feedback good enough for me to be excited! Pairing it with a Burris PEPR mount. Should be sweet!

Back